Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Swart's reagent
Waffles SS
Fighter

[*] posted on 11-4-2014 at 09:09
Swart's reagent

Quote:

Antimony trifluoride is the inorganic compound with the formula SbF3. Sometimes called Swart's reagent.It is used as a fluorination reagent in organic chemistry. This application was reported by the Belgium chemist Frédéric Jean Edmond Swarts in 1892,who demonstrated its usefulness for converting chloride compounds to fluorides. The method involved treatment with antimony trifluoride with chlorine or with antimony pentachloride to give the active species antimony trifluorodichloride (SbCl2F3)
The Swarts reaction is generally applied to the synthesis of organofluorine compounds

Antimony trifluoride
Wiki

As mentioned above Swart's reagent generally applied to the synthesis of organofluorine compounds.Alkyl Chlorides to Alkyl Fluorides.
I want to know this is possible to Synthesis TriFluoroacetic acid(TFA) from TriChloroacetic acid(TCA).or ester of TCA to TFA?

Attachment: US4438088.pdf (203kB)
This file has been downloaded 382 times

[Edited on 11-4-2014 by Waffles SS]
kristofvagyok
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-4-2014 at 10:06

Swart's reagent is much more expensive than TFA.

I have worked a few times with SbF3, we made trifluormethylthio and difluorocyano aromatic compounds with it, but the yields were usually not so high. And because of the high temperature large percent of the product pyrolyzed....

Also important to note that if you do a Swarts reaction if a flask, you will never ever use that glass for anything else ;)

I have a blog where I post my pictures from my work: http://labphoto.tumblr.com/
-Pictures from chemistry, check it out(:

"You can’t become a chemist and expect to live forever."

Go To Top