Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Extracting caffeine out of tea leaves
heasliponline01
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 13-4-2014 at 05:48
Extracting caffeine out of tea leaves

Thought about extracting caffeine out of tea leaves and also trying to figure out how much quantity contains various types of tea, so I boiled the tea leaves in a beaker and afterwards filtered the tea liquid, added lead acetate until solution was cleared. After repeating the process, I added chloroform but I wasn't able to separate the caffeine, I feel like I got lost somewhere in the middle of the process.
Can someone advice me on this?
Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 13-4-2014 at 06:29

Maybe you could check this out:
http://chem-courses.ucsd.edu/CoursePages/Uglabs/143A_Weizman...

It's a slightly different method. It doesn't require lead acetate for one thing, and has nice colorful step-by-step pictures along with a ton of information. It's also the first thing that comes up on Google when you search for "extracting caffeine from tea," so learn to use the Google.
blazeriggins127
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 13-4-2014 at 07:07

Quote: Originally posted by heasliponline01  
Thought about extracting caffeine out of tea leaves and also trying to figure out how much quantity contains various types of tea, so I boiled the tea leaves in a beaker and afterwards filtered the tea liquid, added lead acetate until solution was cleared. After repeating the process, I added chloroform but I wasn't able to separate the caffeine, I feel like I got lost somewhere in the middle of the process.
Can someone advice me on this?

I also did this some time ago, and I think that you were close to obtain the desired result but your experiment wasn't quite accurate- or perhaps your forum post was quite short and you didn't bother to write exactly the quantities you added, because you have to add a right amount of chloroform for example in order to separate the caffeine. Also, you should know that various kind of teas have more or less amount of caffeine inside. Other factors are the boling temperature. Also, if you are looking to extract the caffeine out of various other products such as coffee, then you should use different type of procedure. Also, make sure that you don't lose most of the cafeine during the evaporation process. I guess you already know that the result might not be pure caffeine anyway, but will most posibly contain tea residues as well.

Go To Top