Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Experiments to do with potassium tetraborate?
valeg96
Hazard to Others

Mood: Moodless

smile.gif posted on 17-4-2014 at 11:34
Experiments to do with potassium tetraborate?

I've been given for free a kg of potassium tetraborate, analysis grade. What can I do with it? There's almost nothing about it on the net, not even on wiki. Can I synthesize other compounds with it? I've also been given mercury (II) chloride ( 1g/L, 100mL) and zinc sulfate (200g), both analysis grade.
Brain&Force
Hazard to Lanthanides

Mood: Incommensurately modulated

[*] posted on 17-4-2014 at 11:36

Try a small flame test with it - I'm curious about what color it would be. Sodium borate produces a yellowish flame; I think potassium borate forms a green flame because the potassium lines are very weak.

At the end of the day, simulating atoms doesn't beat working with the real things...
Artemus Gordon
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 17-4-2014 at 16:36

Na+ ions and K+ ions are pretty similar. I would think anything you can do with sodium tetraborate could be done with potassium tetraborate. <a href="http://chemistry.about.com/b/2012/10/01/download-the-golden-book-of-chemistry-experiments.htm"> The Golden Book of Chemistry Experiments</a> shows how to make boric acid, and there are several places where you can find recipes for Silly Putty or slime, including About.com Chemistry.

Out of curiousity, did the person who gave it to you tell you what they intended to use it for?

[Edited on 18-4-2014 by Artemus Gordon]
sasan
Hazard to Self

Mood: Radiative

[*] posted on 17-4-2014 at 22:46

valeg96 react the tetraborate with hydrochloric acid to obtain boric acid,heat the boric untill B2O3 forms
and you can solve boric acid in the methanol(sulfuric acid catalyst) to gain trimethyl borate,it ignites with a very pretty green flame
I have too much sodium tetraborate inhand too,I reacted it with soluble metal salts to make insoluble metal borates like copper tetra borate,Iron(ll)tetra borate,lead tetra borate and...
nezza
Hazard to Others

Mood: phosphorescent

[*] posted on 18-4-2014 at 00:03

Alkali tetraborates are used in the borax bead test for coloured metal cations. Borax is taken up onto a platinum loop and melted. This is dipped into a sample of the metal salt to be tested and remelted. Metals with coloured ions (Copper, cobalt etc) give an attractive colour to the transparent borax bead.
HgDinis25
Hazard to Others

Mood: Who drank my mercury?

[*] posted on 18-4-2014 at 02:45

If you wish, you can go all the way to elemental Boron. React with a strong acid to obtain Boric Acid, Dehydrate the Boric Acid to obtain B2O3 (Boron Oxide). Make a thermite out of the oxide and obtain Boron xD
There is actualy a great video explaining this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QBCyOrjR2o

Go To Top