Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: What happens to the acyl group in a base-catalyzed deacetylation?
FireLion3
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 9-5-2014 at 10:30
What happens to the acyl group in a base-catalyzed deacetylation?

A base catalyzed deacetylation reaction can occur if an acyl group is conjugated or nearby other electron withdrawing groups, but I am struggling to understand what happens to the acyl group?

If COCH3 is removed from the molecule, where does it go? Is it an ion in solution (doubt it)? A radical (doubt it)? Does it react with the base - this I doubt to, since many deacetylation reactions describe using "dilute base", and call it catalyzed, meaning equimolar quantities are unlikely?

The acyl group is 2 hydrogen short of being acetaldehyde.... since it wont be gaining any hydrogen during base catalyzed deacetylation, then what happens to it? Most reaction schemes I have seen only show the other desired substrates of a deacetylation but not the acyl group itself, or what happens to it.
Metacelsus
International Hazard

Mood: Double, double, toil and trouble

[*] posted on 9-5-2014 at 11:02

It becomes a carboxylate ion.

As below, so above.

My blog: https://denovo.substack.com
FireLion3
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 9-5-2014 at 11:15

How? A carboxylate ion has two oxygen (according to wiki). Acyl group only has one.
DraconicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-victorious.

[*] posted on 9-5-2014 at 11:20

Acyl plus hydroxide gives an acetate ion, plus a hydrogen for what it used to be bonded to. That's my guess, at least.

Please remember: "Filtrate" is not a verb.
Write up your lab reports the way your instructor wants them, not the way your ex-instructor wants them.
FireLion3
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 9-5-2014 at 11:28

Ah, that makes sense. So, the hydroxide is not used as a catalyst but as a reactant? Meaning calling it base catalyzed is an inaccurate statement?
Dany
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 9-5-2014 at 14:05

Yes hydroxide ion in base hydrolysis of ester is not a catalyst because it is consumed during the reaction. The reaction of an ester with a base is called saponification reaction. the reaction of HO- with and ester RCOOR' lead to the formation of carboxylate ion RCOO- and the corresponding alcohol R'OH. however, the hydrolysis of an ester with acid (H3O+) is called acid catalyzed because the proton H+ is regenerated at the end of the reaction. So for base hydrolysis we say "base promoted hydrolysis" and for acid we say "acid catalyzed hydrolysis".

Dany.

Go To Top