Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Poll: SM Classifieds: A good idea?
I would like a subforum for buying/selling/trading amateur chem supplies --- 47 (73.44%)
I think it is a bad idea to involve SM in such activities --- 13 (20.31%)
I see no use for it --- 3 (4.69%)
Other (Plaese specify) --- 1 (1.56%)

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: SM Classifieds: A good idea?
The Volatile Chemist
International Hazard

Mood: Copious

[*] posted on 19-5-2014 at 13:22

Quote: Originally posted by Bert  
The site owner's liability for member activities is a key question from the legal standpoint. I'm not a lawyer, so I don't know the legal precedents or jurisdictional differences in such involved. If the liabilities can't be clarified, common sense says stay away. Ignorance is NEVER a good argument in court.

The amount of moderator time required to RUN the new section/sub forum is the key question from a practical point of view.

I DO understand (hands on experience!) adding this is going to require significant amounts of time if it's going to succeed- And absolutely will require additional moderators be taken on.

The old guard of moderators likely have too much on their plates already to add this time sink on now, between professional lives and other demands on their waking hours & attention (Personal time? Family life? What mean these strange words, outlander..)

So, where is the next generation of dedicated, knowledgeable sciencemadness.org moderators coming from... For gosh sake, they were desperate enough to ask ME, this is clearly a labor crunch!;)

I'm not too knowledgeable, but I have a basically free summer. I could be a half-mod...? :) I really have a lot of time off, I'm just not too educated. Thus, I wouldn't be able to mod for the actual forums, but I could tell if someone's cheating others or selling explosives.

[Edited on 5-19-2014 by The Volatile Chemist]

Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 19-5-2014 at 14:48

If we make this new section, we just need to make sure to have set rules and that people follow them. If someone tries to sell something that they shouldn't be, or asks for something that they shouldn't have, then that thread will get sent to detritus or deleted.
The Volatile Chemist
International Hazard

[*] posted on 19-5-2014 at 16:02

Quote: Originally posted by zts16  
If we make this new section, we just need to make sure to have set rules and that people follow them. If someone tries to sell something that they shouldn't be, or asks for something that they shouldn't have, then that thread will get sent to detritus or deleted.

Exactly, but It'll still need more moderators, and maybe legal research.

Manifest
Script Kiddie Asshole

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 21-5-2014 at 10:47

What legal research is needed? A simple disclaimer should suffice, 'Sciencemadness will not be held responsible for deals made by members"
The Volatile Chemist
International Hazard

[*] posted on 26-5-2014 at 14:31

Any more opinions? Or is this idea not going to work?

NexusDNA
Hazard to Others

Mood: Liberated from cocoon

[*] posted on 26-5-2014 at 15:15

There have been many clandestine chemistry sites out there which "weren't responsible for members activity", but still got shut down. This is very delicate, you see. I'd imagine that nobody here wants to see SciMad being turned into honey...

Making it a subforum with closed access will solve some but not all of the problems. One from United States could sell CaCl2, let's say. But red phosphorus and iodine? Moderators would have a painful job ascertaining each thread for each place in the world. Maybe we should write some restrictions straight away?

Nonetheless, I'm very keen on the idea! It would be fantastic for some members to get good quality glassware, equipment, etc., especially those who doesn't have easy access to basic stuff in their countries (me!).

[Edited on 26-5-2014 by NexusDNA]
The Volatile Chemist
International Hazard

[*] posted on 26-5-2014 at 17:56

I argued against it at first, but this forrum has a lot better of aa rep. than any old chemistry site. Still, it could have hazards. Where is the site based in?

The Volatile Chemist
International Hazard

[*] posted on 2-7-2014 at 07:32

Gonna bump this today. I think selling user-made chemicals would be interesting, as long as the seller understood purity issues, source, etc., and that only National Hazards and above (Pref. only 5 stars) are trustworthy.

prof_genius
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 2-7-2014 at 08:16

I think trustworthiness would not be a large issue, the main issue would be analysing, I think amateur chemists could analyse reagents using methods according to "Chemical Reagents Their Purity and Tests" by E. Merck.
The Volatile Chemist
International Hazard

[*] posted on 3-7-2014 at 08:47

Quote: Originally posted by prof_genius  
I think trustworthiness would not be a large issue, the main issue would be analysing, I think amateur chemists could analyse reagents using methods according to "Chemical Reagents Their Purity and Tests" by E. Merck.

Right. Merck has provided some good resources. I guess we haven't won over the mods and admin yet...

Chemosynthesis
International Hazard

[*] posted on 14-7-2014 at 01:21

I like the idea, but the practicality does raise some concerns for me. I know legal sale of items which can have media scrutiny (firearms in particular) have brought about negative publicity for some sites, and I doubt the ACS has as much lobbying clout.
I used to moderate quite a few decently large forums, and I know I had been adamant about not wanting to have classifieds sections due to scams/fraud/etc. The law enforcement officers I know who deal with those types of crimes tend to be very different from the ones I know who run crime labs or work drug enforcement, and have backgrounds in chemistry, and so I am not sure how positive that scrutiny would tend to be.
That said, I love this site, have benefited personally and intellectually from perusing it, and have even made valuable price-discounted purchases through it, so I don't see why I should stand in the way of others' abilities to glean the same and no less.
Manifest
Script Kiddie Asshole

[*] posted on 14-7-2014 at 11:53

I would also like to see a reputation section where users can vouch that they received a package from someone.
Brain&Force
Hazard to Lanthanides

Mood: Incommensurately modulated

[*] posted on 14-7-2014 at 15:05

On the "Where's George" forums there's a trade outcome thread for exchanged currency. That would be a simple idea to implement. Reputable sellers can get marks/ratings placed on the Sciencemadness Wiki.

At the end of the day, simulating atoms doesn't beat working with the real things...
Brain&Force
Hazard to Lanthanides

[*] posted on 18-8-2014 at 10:23
Sciencemadness Marketplace

The Sciencemadness Wiki has opened its new Marketplace section for anyone who wants to put up notices for items either wanted or for sale. The rules and policies are included on the page - they are similar to the ones Praxichys outlined on the first post. You need to have a confirmed Wikia account (making 10 edits in 4 days should do the trick) as the page is protected. Please let us know of any recommendations about policy or execution either in this thread or the wiki thread.

If you're looking for information about lab equipment vendors, check here instead.

At the end of the day, simulating atoms doesn't beat working with the real things...
TheChemiKid
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 18-8-2014 at 10:38

This is a brilliant idea, I think it would help separate topics about acquiring chemicals from stores, from other members.
The Volatile Chemist
International Hazard

[*] posted on 20-8-2014 at 13:10

Great job! glad it exists now!

APO
National Hazard

Mood: Refluxing

[*] posted on 24-8-2014 at 19:15

Can you add something like a list of what's not allowed to be sold/advertised?

"Damn it George! I told you not to drop me!"
Brain&Force
Hazard to Lanthanides

[*] posted on 24-8-2014 at 19:37

Can others expand on that for me? Here's what I would personally say:

Anything illegal in your jurisdiction
Any explosives, primary or secondary
Any drugs/psychoactive substances

Zyklon-A
International Hazard

Mood: Fluorine radical

[*] posted on 24-8-2014 at 22:44

Do you mean any drugs, or any illegal drugs?

Brain&Force
Hazard to Lanthanides

[*] posted on 25-8-2014 at 11:35

I was thinking just illegal drugs, but prescription drugs is another important one.

Zyklon-A
International Hazard

Mood: Fluorine radical

[*] posted on 25-8-2014 at 11:40

Well, that's kind of redundant as prescription drugs are illegal without a prescription, and if you have a prescription, you wouldn't buy from here.

APO
National Hazard

Mood: Refluxing

[*] posted on 26-8-2014 at 18:33

I mean't like a narcotic, explosive, chemical weapon, or direct precursor that has no other chemical use, i.e. (pseudoephedrine, agent ql, or etc).

"Damn it George! I told you not to drop me!"
Brain&Force
Hazard to Lanthanides

[*] posted on 3-9-2014 at 12:25

And, of course, things that really have no use in amateur chemistry or element collecting. There's Craigslist for that.

The Volatile Chemist
International Hazard

[*] posted on 3-9-2014 at 12:40

What are your thoughts on selling rocks/minerals on there, and differentiating between Beryl Ore, granite, and useful things vs. mineral collector's items?

Brain&Force
Hazard to Lanthanides

[*] posted on 3-9-2014 at 13:55

Sure, that's understandable as well. It doesn't have to really be chemistry equipment, either: just general science equipment and reagents. Minerals are fine - but it would be good to note whether they're gem quality or not.

What do you think of selling astronomy equipment?

[Edited on 3.9.2014 by Brain&Force]

Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top