Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 18-12-2004 at 02:02
making calcium

can i make pure calcium from caco3 or caoh
HNO3
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

thumbdown.gif posted on 18-12-2004 at 06:57

Stop starting topics on your first posts, search the web, learn enough so that you know what your doing, and don't be a k3wl. :mad::mad::mad:
nice rant, eh?:P

\"In the beginning, God...\" Wait a minute, God doesn\'t exist!!!!!!!!!! \"OK, in the beginning, ummm, hydrogen...\" Wait a minute, what about the laws of thermodynamics? \"OK, in the beginning, ummm.....UMMMMM, what\'s left to choose from?
Saerynide
National Hazard

Mood: Ionic

[*] posted on 18-12-2004 at 07:17

At least learn to write your formulas correctly :mad:

"Microsoft reserves the right at all times to monitor communications on the Service and disclose any information Microsoft deems necessary to... satisfy any applicable law, regulation or legal process"
Thomas Winwood
Harmless

Mood: Anhydrous

[*] posted on 18-12-2004 at 07:48

Quote:
Originally posted by HNO3
Stop starting topics on your first posts

I don't see why that's such a bad thing, especially if the alternative is bringing up a dead topic.
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
BromicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Rock n' Roll

[*] posted on 18-12-2004 at 09:08

We appreciate bringing up dead topics here though :D

You might be able to do a reduction with carbon but the temperatures may well be out of your comfort zone. Additionally you could react it with HCl and dry to produce the chloride and melt to perform electrolysis on it. This is a pain though because there is a very narrow range over which the CaCl2 melts and the calcium formed stays solid, I think it's only 20C higher then the melting point of CaCl2 that calcium melts, it would then float to the surface and mess with things. Additionally to get good deposits you either have to have a cathode that rises out of the solution, or rotates.

Industrially I think that straight CaCl2 is used, there are eutectic mixtures that have been discussed for use that melt somewhat lower but they do not form calcium pure enough for industrial standards. Also, you could perform an aluminothermic reduction on calcium chloride, but with aluminum I have only seen the reaction going to completion under high vacuum to pull off the AlCl3 formed, possibly you could go to the store and just buy some lime to start out with and try aluminothermic reductions with that. Keep everything sealed to the entrance of air, but definitely not to the exit, ball check valves, i.e., one-way ball valves are a must but they must be able to accommodate sudden releases of gas, you DO NOT WANT AN EXPLOSION sending molten calcium and aluminum everywhere, believe me, been there, done that.

Here is the original thread on making calcium metal where your question should have went. It's usually preferred to add to an old thread then start a new one so all the information is centralized. Whenever a thread opens that is different from the original but contains aspects of it, then we usually provide a link to that thread so that the two threads are able to be found from one another.

[Edited on 12/18/2004 by BromicAcid]

Shamelessly plugging my attempts at writing fiction: http://www.robvincent.org

Go To Top