Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: sec butylation of 5-MeO-tryptamine
inertia
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 23-6-2014 at 16:33
sec butylation of 5-MeO-tryptamine

I'm looking for a decent way to s-butylate 5-Methoxy t. I understand that there's a lot of discussion involving the methylation of this compound and related compounds (in an effort to illegally synthesize DMT and 5-MeO-DMT), but I'm interested in butylation, something I haven't seen any information on. I understand that eschweiler clarke methylation doesn't work as a result of the pictet spengler reaction being more favored. I was thinking that it may be possible for one to alkylate 5 MeO-T with methyl ethyl ketone and an acid (acetic, citric[?]) refluxing for long enough. Would that work/is there a better way?
arkoma
Redneck Overlord

Mood: украї́нська

[*] posted on 23-6-2014 at 17:55

Get to know our community a bit better, and ya might actually get an answer. We aren't opposed to drug chemistry per se, but on your FIRST post, yeah. Least ya didna use "SWIM".

"We believe the knowledge and cultural heritage of mankind should be accessible to all people around the world, regardless of their wealth, social status, nationality, citizenship, etc" z-lib

inertia
Harmless

[*] posted on 24-6-2014 at 08:32

arkoma, I've long lurked this board, but I haven't ever bothered to make an account. I'm not interested in drug chemistry or the synthesis of illegal compounds, but I found information online that a sec butyl tryptamine has never been studied rigorously, and I found that to be particularly interesting. Shulgin himself expressed interest in it.

I'm sorry if I crossed a line by asking this on my first post, this is just my current project since I got home from university for the summer, and I was having difficulties with a proposed synthesis.
arkoma
Redneck Overlord

[*] posted on 24-6-2014 at 08:43

I get protective *blush*

If your a chem student PLEASE contribute. There are a few middle-aged n00bs like myself can use the insight of a "sharp young kid".

And may Sasha rest in peace!

"We believe the knowledge and cultural heritage of mankind should be accessible to all people around the world, regardless of their wealth, social status, nationality, citizenship, etc" z-lib

inertia
Harmless

[*] posted on 24-6-2014 at 08:52

I'm a chemistry major at MIT! Granted, only a second year, but I'd like to think I could contribute a bit.
arkoma
Redneck Overlord

[*] posted on 24-6-2014 at 09:10

well, YEAH:D

Crowfjord
Hazard to Others

Mood: Ever so slowly crystallizing...

[*] posted on 24-6-2014 at 09:31

Howdy, inertia. Are you talking about mono- or di-alkylation? Also, your proposed reaction lacks a crucial reagent: a reducing agent. Just refluxing in acid would cause all sorts of things to form (imines, aminals, hemiaminals, etc,...) but not the sec-butylamine. Have you gotten to reductive amination in your studies yet? Also, look into nucleophilic substitution (SN2 reactions and such).

Mono-alkylation shouldn't be a problem, really, with either type of reaction. Getting a second sec-butyl group on that amine would prove a little more difficult due to stearic hindrance. The reaction would probably need a long time, or creative variation.
Nicodem
Super Moderator
Thread Moved
24-6-2014 at 11:26

Go To Top