Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: How accurate is chemical analysis, and what differnet methods exist?
AmateurGenius6
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 23-6-2014 at 21:53
How accurate is chemical analysis, and what differnet methods exist?

If there is an unknown compound, with modern technology, how easy would it be to to exactly identify a chemical?

From the little information I have, I've heard that each compound has its own signature(lack of correct word?), and if the signature matches a known compound, then that compound can be declared as such with confidence. But when if the chemical signature is not known? How easy is it for an equipped analysis lab to identify an unknown compound that does not resemble any compound they have worked with before?

I've heard that different functional groups can put off different signatures, allowing for the structure to be guessed....but how scientifically developed is this technology? What is actually possible and what isn't?

Like for instance how easily could an Analysis lab tell apart relatively inert compounds such as Benzene, Toluene, Xylene, Mesitylene, etc? These compounds all have the methyl groups (Benzene excluded), but they're all relatively unreactive in a chemical sense. I know a simple boiling point test is one way to identify them, if the boiling points are known, but what other techniques exist?
alexleyenda
Hazard to Others

Mood: Busy studying chemistry at the University

[*] posted on 23-6-2014 at 22:17

Many techniques exist for caracterisation :

-Chromatography (related to polarity)
-Infrared spectrum (shows up most function)
-Mass spectrometry (the most awesome one, destroys molecules and give the mass of the pieces and their quantity, which is representative of what is in the molecule)

Caracteristics of the substance:
-Reaction under UV light
-Boiling point
-Melting point
-Solubility
-Flame tests
-Chemical reaction tests
-Refraction index
-Light absorption test

I guess is miss some, but that is a quite good list. It is hard not to identify something once you passed though all that.

Help us build the Sciencemadness Wiki! Every question and tips about amateur chemistry two clicks away, wouldn't that be awesome?! sciencemadness.org/smwiki
AmateurGenius6
Harmless

[*] posted on 23-6-2014 at 22:29

I suppose what I meant is, is it possible to accurately determine the structure of a compound from those tests alone? In the case of either there is no documentation on the molecule, or access to known BP, MP, UV reactions, are all unavailible. Imagine you only have the equipment, and no documentation of past compounds. How accurately could the exact structure of compounds be determined? Is there a way to just put a compound under a super-power electron scanning microscope, or something even more precise?
alexleyenda
Hazard to Others

Mood: Busy studying chemistry at the University

[*] posted on 23-6-2014 at 22:45

I guess a mix of infrared spectrum and mass chromatography would allow this most of the time as it really gives you data about what is in the molecule. With a bit of logic it is possible to rebuild the molecules correctly most of the time. I don't think we're able to see atoms well enough to identify molecules yet, but i'm not really aware of the progress in microscopy so I can't really tell.

I'm aware that i'm not answering your question completely but this is a good start :P

[Edited on 24-6-2014 by alexleyenda]

Help us build the Sciencemadness Wiki! Every question and tips about amateur chemistry two clicks away, wouldn't that be awesome?! sciencemadness.org/smwiki
kavu
Hazard to Others

Mood: To understand is to synthesize

[*] posted on 24-6-2014 at 01:36

There are a multitude of ways. Most typically structures of organic compounds are solved using a variety of 1D and 2D NMR methods alongside with HRMS and mass fragmentation patterns. If the compound is crystalline Xray techniques can also be applied. Structures of even very complex natural products have been solved via these methods. In some cases there are ambiguities and further chemical modifications to the structure are needed to get definite information. In many cases the atomic connectivity can usually be resolved easily, but absolute (and in some cases relative) stereochemistries posses more a significant challenge.

For example, I have had a few reactions producing unknown side products. Within just hours from isolating the compound I've managed to figure out the exact structure based on HRMS, IR, 1H, 13C and COSY. This kind of stuff is done routinely in universities and the industry on daily bases.

[Edited on 24-6-2014 by kavu]
WGTR
National Hazard

Mood: Outline

[*] posted on 24-6-2014 at 04:44

This isn't a fancy method, but if a sample can be made to approximate an ideal gas, its molar mass can be determined by weighing a sample at known volume/temp/pressure/etc. I've done this in a syringe with common hydrocarbon gasses, although it took a very sensitive and accurate balance, as well as careful handling. Molar mass doesn't tell you everything, but it's one piece of the puzzle.
phlogiston
International Hazard

Mood: pyrophoric

[*] posted on 24-6-2014 at 12:30

Different analytical techniques yield different pieces of the puzzle. Depending on how big the puzzle is, you may need to gather more information to solve the puzzle.

Simple small organic molecules are commonly identified conclusively by a combination of
- infrared spectroscopy (IR), which mainly provides information on the different functional groups in the molecule
- mass spectrometry (MS), which mainly yields information on structure and atomic composition (isotope peaks)
- Nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR), which mainly yields information on structure

Nearly always you have some background information available as well on the origin of the molecule that can greatly help guide your guess, but it is certainly possible to identify a compound by analytical techniques alone with no further information.

There are almost literally countless of other techniques and varieties that can be used if needed, but if you are interested I suggest you start looking into the above three first.

I don't believe there are actually any molecules that can not be identified at present (provided enough of it is available, etc)

-----
"If a rocket goes up, who cares where it comes down, that's not my concern said Wernher von Braun" - Tom Lehrer
ziqquratu
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 24-6-2014 at 15:40

As the previous posters have noted, there are a multitude of techniques available for identification of molecules. And what you need depends on where your compound came from (for example, if it was extracted from a plant or is as an unexpected product from a reaction).

Chromatography (HPLC, GC, TLC and so on) is useful for separating mixtures of compounds into individual components, and in some cases for measuring the amounts of each component that is present. there are many different mechanisms that can be used for the separation, but essentially you have an unmoving "stationary phase" and a moving "mobile phase", and compounds separate based on their relative affinity for each - so something that prefers the mobile phase will move faster than something that is happy with either, which will move faster than something that prefers the stationary phase. It provides no structural information, although if you know what compounds are present in a mixture you may be able to identify each component based on how quickly it moves under a known set of conditions.

Mass spectrometry is an extremely important for determining chemical structures. It provides the molecular mass of a compound - and since it can be accurate to the mass of an electron, you can reliably calculate the molecular formula (or a small number of probable ones) from this. It also tells you about isotopes, which can allow you to figure out if a less common atom (i.e. something like a halogen or a metal) is present, and even how many of those atoms. Finally, by adjusting the conditions, you can make your molecule break up and then detect the pieces, which can give you useful information about substitutents - for example, if you see a peak that is 29amu less than the molecular ion, you can guess that your molecule contains an ethyl group. Likewise, a peak that is 31 less would suggest that CH3O is present - perhaps a methyl ether or ester. Furthermore, when the molecules break up, you can use the pattern of fragments as a fingerprint and, by comparing with databases of known compounds, you can identify an unknown if someone has identified it previously.

Spectroscopic methods - primarily NMR and IR - are probably the most powerful tools for structural elucidation. IR can tell you what functional groups are present in a molecule - and provide some limited information about their connectivity (for example, you can often distinguish between o-, m- and p-substituted benzenes). The vast array of different NMR experiments can give you enormous information. Simple spectra can tell you about the environment in which an atom finds itself - that is, what type of things are attached to it. Others can tell you how many protons are attached to a particular carbon atom; or what carbon atoms are attached to each other; or what protons are spatially near each other, even if they aren't directly attached.

Finally, the pinnacle of structural elucidation is x-ray crystallography, which physically measures the locations of atoms in a crystal. Of course, you need a crystal for that (and many compounds are anything but crystalline!), and it still takes a lot of work to figure it out.

Ultimately, you usually need a combination of these techniques to identify a compound, depending on what you already know. For example, if you're looking at an unexpected synthetic product, you have the advantage of knowning what went in, and thus of being able to make predictions about what the product might be. So, a few NMR experiments might be enough for you to work out what it is. On the other hand, if you have something from a random sea sponge, you may have no clue about the structure and will need every tool at your disposal to figure it out.

Perhaps the last remaining area in which there are significant limitations is in figuring out the stereochemistry of an unknown product. The tools for determining absolute stereochemistry (that is, R or S) are actually very limited - particularly if you only have a tiny amount of a sample. And whilst NMR can be quite good for determining relative stereochemistry (that is, the orientation of two groups relative to one another - for example, do they both point the same way or is one back and one forward?), it can also be very difficult to interpret the data and get right - particularly for complex natural products or where you only have a tiny amount of material (and often you can only isolate sub-milligram amounts of a natural product, for example!). Even if you get lucky enough to obtain an x-ray structure, which will without doubt confirm relative stereochemistry, it can still be difficult to be sure of the absolute stereochemistry.

Go To Top