Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Misconceptions of High Explosives
Darkstar
Hazard to Others

Mood: Sleepy

[*] posted on 18-1-2015 at 18:12

Quote: Originally posted by Zombie  

Why does anyone need safrole oil? There are dozens of valid reasons. Yet it's the people that use it for drugs that made it an analog.

Don't mean to nitpick, but safrole would more correctly be called a "precursor" to various MDxx compounds, especially when speaking in a legal context. An analog is more like MDA compared to MDMA.
Zombie
Forum Hillbilly

Mood: I just don't know...

[*] posted on 18-1-2015 at 19:18

Of course you are correct... I think.
I was referring to the Federal Analogue Act making a root oil illegal. In correct definition it is a precursor.
The same scenario applies to many of the chemicals used for countless experiments/reactions all over this forum.
Bottom line is the idiots that use these things for illegal profit or terror are the issue. Unfortunately they will neither go away or reduce in numbers. They will simply grow along with population., and many more things we all take for granted as harmless will be stripped away from us.

You can argue that water is a precursor, and can be controlled under the analog act.

I do have to learn to monitor my wording here.

Thank you.

[Edited on 19-1-2015 by Zombie]

They tried to have me "put to sleep" so I came back to return the favor.
Zom.
Darkstar
Hazard to Others

Mood: Sleepy

[*] posted on 18-1-2015 at 20:38

Safrole isn't actually illegal in the US. You can purchase and possess safrole/sassafras oil. It is, however, a DEA list I chemical, meaning its suppliers are tightly regulated and its sales are closely monitored by the DEA. The Federal Analogue Act, also part of the Controlled Substances Act, isn't the same thing. Its purpose is primarily to deal with designer drugs, which are typically analogs of known drugs. For example, MDEA, the N-ethyl analog of MDMA, differs only by an ethyl group on the nitrogen (as opposed to MDMA's methyl group). This small change technically makes MDEA a different substance than MDMA and not subject to the same restrictions. The Federal Analogue Act is intended to address this loophole.

Precursors and reagents commonly used to synthesize controlled drugs are handled somewhat differently. With the exception of precursors like phenylacetone (which is flat-out Schedule II), most aren't actually illegal to purchase or possess. (although, in some jurisdictions, certain combinations of them can be illegal) They may be hard to buy from legitimate chemical suppliers, but that isn't because they aren't allowed to sell them to you.

DEA list of chemicals
Federal Analog Act
DEA on safrole
Zombie
Forum Hillbilly

Mood: I just don't know...

[*] posted on 18-1-2015 at 22:30

Thank you again for the correction Darkstar.

Next time i'll use H202 for my example, and leave the dramatization out.:D

Good lookin' out.:cool:

They tried to have me "put to sleep" so I came back to return the favor.
Zom.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top