Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: HBr/HI via HCl ?
Protium
Harmless

Mood: unenlightened

[*] posted on 4-1-2005 at 20:19
HBr/HI via HCl ?

I have been entertaining the idea for a while that if one were to dissolve a load of NaI into concentrated HCl(aq) that a mixture of HCl, HI, NaCl, and NaI would invariably be present, given that they are merely a mixture of dissociated ions.

I then began to think that maybe this could easily be used to produce alkyl iodides from alcohols.

I then began to wonder if NaI/NaBr could be dissolved into DMSO and then dry HCl bubbled through the mixture to produce the same effect. If so, this might make it easy to brominate/iodinate one's choice of water-insoluble alkene completely OTC.

Any feedback?

It just depends on how you look at it...
chloric1
International Hazard

Mood: Stoichiometrically Balanced

[*] posted on 5-1-2005 at 15:42

EAH! Not really feasible I am afraid.:( You would rather have an equilibrium. What you need is to have your iodide/bromide and protonate it with a non-volatile acid that wont oxidize to shift the equilibrium in your favor. Try your DMSO mix with 85% phosphoric acid if you have access to it. This may work better.

If you are after 57% HI one simple way is to take elemental iodine+ water(equal weights) in a beaker with rapid stirring and bubble in H2S from a H2S generator. The H2S generator is nothing more than A large test tube or large flask that is stoppered ,with an exit tube, fille with parrafin wax and sulfur mix. You melt the mixture and YOU GOT GAS!:cool:

[Edited on 1/5/2005 by chloric1]

Fellow molecular manipulator

Go To Top