Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Can "Fractional Freezing" be used to separate water miscibile liquids?
FireLion3
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 18-8-2014 at 11:30
Can "Fractional Freezing" be used to separate water miscibile liquids?

I recently discovered fractional freezing when reading about Acetone + Dry Ice baths

If I have a mixture of water, some other solvent, and a compound that is soluble in both, with the solvent freezing at less than -50 degrees, and I were to cool the mixture to below the freezing temperature of water, would all of the water turn to ice granules leaving only the other solvent and the compounds that were soluble in it?

Or would some of the dissolved solids become trapped in the ice? If so, to any appreciable extent? The freezing would be done with stirring, so no huge solid chunk of ice would form, I don't think.
forgottenpassword
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 18-8-2014 at 11:49

You should just try it. No one can tell you if 'a compound' in 'a solvent' will remain dissolved if you could cause the water to freeze.
FireLion3
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 18-8-2014 at 11:55

I'm planning to soon, just need to pick up some dry ice. I just figured someone who has experience with it could give me some mechanistic insight into it.

elementcollector1
International Hazard

Mood: Molten

[*] posted on 18-8-2014 at 18:33

This is used as a somewhat effective technique for concentrating hydrogen peroxide - the water freezes nearly pure, and freezing-point depression gets you up to 15% from pharma grade for a regular fridge.

Elements Collected:52/87
Latest Acquired: Cl
Next in Line: Nd

Go To Top