Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Diphenyliodonium Salts
krfkeith
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 24-8-2014 at 04:55
Diphenyliodonium Salts

Is there anyway for an amateur to get ahold of any these? Sadly, if I had to guess, I would say no :/

All of the "facile" syntheses I've come across require dangerous/expensive reagents.

Supposedly these are used in light curing epoxies, although probably obscure derivatives, and probably not in any useful quantities (although if you can prove me wrong I would be very happy!).

I've posted here before on the subject I think, but I've been trying for quite some time to make my own photoresist formulation. A so-called "photo acid generator" is a key component (which is what the diphenyliodonium salts serve as).

Thanks in advance!
forgottenpassword
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 24-8-2014 at 10:39

Why don't you bother saying what country you are in? I have seen it for sale from a few sources in my country. It may or may not be economical to send it to yours. Who knows! It's a mystery.

[Edited on 24-8-2014 by forgottenpassword]
krfkeith
Harmless

[*] posted on 24-8-2014 at 11:45

Oh sorry about that! I forgot that my profile doesn't list my location (it des now though!). I'm in Utah, United States.

I guess the only problem is that even if I could get a hold of it, the prices appear to be rather exorbitant (I'm still interested if you can manage to get your hands on it though). Unfortunately, spinning on photoresist is really wasteful. It's somewhat hard to say how much I need since I doubt I'd even get the formula correct on my first attempt. I'd probably want to make around 100 grams of resist. Even assuming I did get it right on my first attempt, the cheapest I've seen it is like $80/5g, and considering that it needs to be added at ~4% by weight, that's roughly $64 per batch, just for one component. Yikes!

[Edited on 24-8-2014 by krfkeith]

[Edited on 24-8-2014 by krfkeith]

Go To Top