Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Solvents for Sodium Borohydride - why is methanol often included even with non-reactive polar aprotic solvents to dissolve...
Leben
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 3-9-2014 at 11:43
Solvents for Sodium Borohydride - why is methanol often included even with non-reactive polar aprotic solvents to dissolve the BH4?

I know Borohydride forms a complex of sorts with alcohols that is more reactive than the borohydride itself, but is there any reason why borohydride cannot be used in a polar aprotic like DMSO of THF, by itself? THF alone is used for LAH, while borohydride is weaker, there are a number of compounds it should have no problem reducing. Why when I search can I only find BH4 + MeOH in THF solutions? I wouldn't assume that the borohydride is so weak that it can't reduce without methanol being present.
AvBaeyer
National Hazard

[*] posted on 3-9-2014 at 18:32

The reason THF (or sometimes t-butanol) is used with sodium borohydride - methanol is a practical one. NaBH4 reacts very rapidly with methanol and thus using methanol as a single solvent often requires large excesses of borohydride because of the rapid decomposition of the borohydride-methanol complexes in the presence of excess methanol. If the borohydride is first suspended in THF (or t-butanol) in which the compound to be reduced is disolved, the methanol is then slowly added over a lengthy time period to effect the desired reduction. In this manner, large excesses of borohydride can be avoided and advantage taken of the more powerful reducing properties of the borohydride-methanol adducts which are more stable with limited amounts of methanol.

There is much information about the reducing properties of NaBH4 in various solvents and solvent combinations on the web.

AvB

AvB
Leben
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 3-9-2014 at 18:44

Thank you for the reply,

What I was basically wondering is: Is there any reason why I cannot just use borohydride dissolve in THF or a similar solvent? Borohydride is fairly reactive, depending on the substrate being reduced, I am just curious as to why I need to dirty my reaction with methanol (yes I know it can easily be removed) if the borohydride would react with the compound regardless. THF or DMSO dissolve the borohydride and the organics, so I am not really understanding the purpose of methanol - is its requirement purely situational?
DJF90
International Hazard

[*] posted on 3-9-2014 at 22:15

THF does not dissolve sodium borohydride, but you can use it as a suspension.
forgottenpassword
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 4-9-2014 at 01:50

Lots of good borohydride information here: http://www.dow.com/assets/attachments/industry/pharma_medica...
Leben
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 4-9-2014 at 17:06

Quote: Originally posted by DJF90  
THF does not dissolve sodium borohydride, but you can use it as a suspension.

Surely it must dissolve it ever so slightly? If not, and if it is active in its undissolved form, then couldn't I just create a slurry of it in toluene and use that?

I've never worked with THF but I was thought it was used to dissolve ionic compounds being polar apriotic?
forgottenpassword
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 4-9-2014 at 23:57

If you'd have clicked the link you would know that it is soluble to the extent of 0.1 g in 100g of THF at 20 C.
FireLion3
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 5-9-2014 at 13:26

I bet using even a smidgen of phase transfer catalyst with a suspension of borohydride would drastically enhance the reactivity.
Nicodem
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 5-9-2014 at 22:39

Quote: Originally posted by Leben  
Surely it must dissolve it ever so slightly? If not, and if it is active in its undissolved form, then couldn't I just create a slurry of it in toluene and use that?

THF and toluene are not protic so they cannot participate in the reduction of the carbonyl group. See the reaction mechanism for the reduction of carbonyl groups with NaBH4 to understand why methanol is most commonly used. Off course, if you would have read the review that forgottenpassword provided you, you would have known that already. So, in order for the reduction of properly reactive carbonyl groups to occur at room temperature at an useful rate, you need the presence of water, methanol or ethanol.
Nevertheless, NaBH4 in diglyme, DMSO, pyridine and some other aprotic solvents is actually able to reduce even poorly electrophilic carbonyl groups, it can even reduce some amides. But this is something quite different, as it takes temperatures of above 100 °C and the mechanism is different. NaBH4 in hot DMSO is even able to participate as a nucleophile in some SN2 substitutions.

Quote:
I've never worked with THF but I was thought it was used to dissolve ionic compounds being polar apriotic?

THF is relatively poorly polar, but it is a base and it is therefore only able to dissolve acidic salts or salts with highly polarizable ions. For example, it dissolves LiBH4 quite well (having a strongly acidic cation), but not even nearly as well NaBH4. It does not dissolve neutral and nopolarizable salts (like NaCl and similar).

…there is a human touch of the cultist “believer” in every theorist that he must struggle against as being unworthy of the scientist. Some of the greatest men of science have publicly repudiated a theory which earlier they hotly defended. In this lies their scientific temper, not in the scientific defense of the theory. - Weston La Barre (Ghost Dance, 1972)

Read the The ScienceMadness Guidelines!

Go To Top