Printable Version  
Author: Subject: n-acetyl o-toluidine oxidation
Templar
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 7-9-2014 at 04:06
n-acetyl o-toluidine oxidation

Hello everyone,

I have been investigating oxidation of n acetyl ortho toluidine to n acetyl anthranilic acid for a novel quinazoline compound I want to synthesise.

I have been trying to find a reference for the oxidation using permanganate and magnesium sulfate as a H+ source, but it seems to be a very elementary oxidation, probably referenced elsewhere in the oxidation of phenyl alkyl compounds to carboxylic acids.

I understand that the oxidation is carried out by the trace amounts of manganese heptoxide formed in acidic conditions with permanganate ions.

in 1300ml dH2O, 20g n acetyl o toluidine and 50g anhydrous magnesium sulfate are dissolved. To this is added 50g potassium permanganate is added, and the mixture stirred at 85C for 3hours.

Excess permanganate is neutralized with denatured alcohol, then the reaction mix is filtered hot through celite with vacuum filtration by buchner. N acetyl anthranilic acid is precipitated from the filtrate via addition of 10% sulfuric acid.

Would it be possible to reduce solvent volumes by incorporating acetone or other oxidation resistant co-solvent to help solvate the n acetyl o toluidine? 1.3L of reaction mix is rather annoying. This acetone could be evaporated off.

Also, why wouldnt sodium dichromate work in place of permanganate? Is it not strong enough to produce complete conversion of the toluidine to the anthranilic acid?

Oh and there is one other thing. There is a writeup on erowid that details the synthesis of n acetyl ortho toluidine by refluxing o toluidine and GAA in excess for 3hrs.

I cant find any references for this; but I assume it is similar to the reaction of ammonium acetate undergoing thermal decomposition to acetamide? Refs, but only for acetylation of phenols by GAA

http://www.jbcs.sbq.org.br/imagebank/pdf/v9n3a05.pdf
http://www.ias.ac.in/jarch/proca/29/00000365.pdf

Why could this not be applied to the acetate salt of anthranilic acid? Anthranilic acetate + excess GAA -- heat --> n acetyl anthranilic acid

cheers

[Edited on 7-9-2014 by Templar]

[Edited on 7-9-2014 by Templar]

He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby become a monster. And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee.
Scr0t
Hazard to Others

Mood: Desiccated

[*] posted on 8-9-2014 at 04:46

The acetone may undergo some degree of oxidation to AcOH & CO2 also since it's quite volatile it will reduce the reaction temperature.

Oxidation of the methyl group can be done under neutral-alkaline conditions with KMnO4, e.g. toluene -> benzoic acid.
PhMe + 2KMnO4 -> PhCOOK + 2MnO2 + KOH + H2O
The MgSO4 is used to mop up the formed KOH which could hydrolyze the N-acetyl group present.

Quote:
There is a writeup on erowid that details the synthesis of n acetyl ortho toluidine by refluxing o toluidine and GAA in excess for 3hrs.I cant find any references for this...

Check Vogel 3rd. Ed., Acetanilide Method 3, p577.
Templar
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 8-9-2014 at 13:31

Ah I see... I'm surprised, I didnt think permanganate would work without acidic/basic conditions. Thanks for the link.

Another interesting possibility could be combining anthranilic acid with an excess of GAA to acetylate it. I think I posted in another thread about this... its possible to do in good yield with toluidine, and I couldnt see it forming an anhydride with the GAA combining with the carboxylic acid group.

It should drive off the water and force the equilibrium from the acetate to the amide. Similar te ammonium acetate -> acetamide.

cheers

[Edited on 8-9-2014 by Templar]

He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby become a monster. And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee.

Go To Top