Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Local Hood for sale, would you grab it without blower?
zenosx
Hazard to Others

Mood: Awaiting Results....

[*] posted on 7-10-2014 at 16:32
Local Hood for sale, would you grab it without blower?

Happened upon 3 hoods for sale in my area. He wants $250 for either of them, all sans' blower.

Not sure I can secure the funds but would you guys snag it if you could? I'm debating as I can't find much lab time with school and kid AND wife ATM....

If so, which one would you pick? I'm going for #1, or #3.

They are already on pallets and ready for pickup. He also mentions that he can source blower motors if needed. I'm emailing him now for info on the blowers.

Debating if I will get the use of it, AND if I can talk the wife into the purchase. While insurance took care of almost all of it, the recent $200,000 cancer bill still has us reeling (even though it's all but paid off already)

He also has some lab benches with drawers for $40...

Hood 1(2) 600x450.jpg - 11kB Hood 1_600x450.jpg - 11kB Hood 2 (2)600x450.jpg - 11kB Hood 2 600x450.jpg - 10kB Hood 3 (3) 600x450.jpg - 11kB Hood 3 600x450.jpg - 11kB

A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?

Albert Einstein
hyfalcon
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 7-10-2014 at 16:38

There's that much and more in materials alone. Wish I was close.
zenosx
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 7-10-2014 at 16:41

Yea I just sent an email to him because it honestly seems too good to be true. Going to see what his reply is, and think of a good sob story to the wife (as I'd spend that much to build a sloppy home made one!)

Albert Einstein
Metacelsus
International Hazard

Mood: Double, double, toil and trouble

[*] posted on 7-10-2014 at 17:22

Get them.

As below, so above.

My blog: https://denovo.substack.com
smaerd
International Hazard

Mood: hmm...

[*] posted on 7-10-2014 at 17:43

Definitely grab one, or two. Bet someone trying to let those go for that cheap could be talked down if you took two off their hands. Sell the second one for 300(still giving someone an awesome deal) and pay practically nothing for a nice hood!

You know you may not have the time right now, but you will eventually. Besides fume-hoods are useful for other things too that aren't chemistry related. Like drying your hair, or arts and crafts. Sorry trying to think of ways to spin it to your wife :P.

Loptr
International Hazard

Mood: Grateful

[*] posted on 7-10-2014 at 19:00

So where are you located? I seem recall mention of Appalachian, so any chance as far north as VA?

[Edited on 8-10-2014 by Loptr]
Haber
Harmless

[*] posted on 7-10-2014 at 23:51

Wow! Wish I could score a deal like this.
If possible grab more than one, and if your wife argues, tell her you can sell them for more :)
Chemosynthesis
International Hazard

[*] posted on 7-10-2014 at 23:56

Number one speaks to me. I hope all is well medically.
CuReUS
National Hazard

[*] posted on 8-10-2014 at 00:12

Quote: Originally posted by zenosx  

Debating if I will get the use of it, AND if I can talk the wife into the purchase. While insurance took care of almost all of it, the recent $200,000 cancer bill still has us reeling (even though it's all but paid off already)

wow,inspite of such hardship ,i am amazed that you are still pursuing what you like ,whereas other people would be whining and complaining,you remind me of G.N lewis who also spent his last moments in the lab ,you have my respect

btw ,in the picture of the hood in the bottom right,there is purpulish residue on the ceiling .was someone playing with iodine;)

forgottenpassword
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 8-10-2014 at 01:39

It is such a cumbersome piece of equipment to have in your home. If you are in the habit of boiling things in beakers and having the room filled with acrid fumes then I suppose that you might find it useful.
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 8-10-2014 at 05:21

You would need a sizable space to set this up in to be useful, like a large shed or garage. The motor is key, but they will also be available. I know of several companies that have closed, putting many of these hoods on the market used, and there is no one building labs in the US now, so that is why the prices are low. If I had the money and space, I might buy a hood and a few cabinets, but if you can't afford it now, just wait a while, there are plenty of hoods out there right now; or maybe you can get the guy to let you put down a small amount to hold it until you can afford it. It might make a nice spray paint booth as well.
zenosx
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 8-10-2014 at 16:09

I have plenty of space as I have almost half of a full house sized garage available for lab space. ATM I'm using just a large corner, but this would fit NP and the venting to the outside wouldn't be a hard issue either.

My wife has a nose like none other, and I can almost literally open a bottle of acetone and have her "complain" of the odor two floors up. It would also come in quite handy as the floor above my lab (being in a garage) has no insulation so odors and volatile s easily penetrate the upstairs area.

Yes, while finding them cheap isn't Too hard, the shipping is more than it's usually worth, so finding these in pickup distance is a big plus for me.

For where it is, it's East TN.

So far the seller hasn't replied to my questions such as (are the gas connectors corroded, does the lighting work, does the electrical function, do the sash's work, sticky, etc,etc.)

He does list that they were used for a solid 10 years before being torn down, but from the pics they look better than what I could build!

#1 caught my eye as well. Just like what I used at the university.

And, the wife said yes, but that it would be my Christmas present, and come Hell or High Water, she was wrapping it up LMAO...I'll have to post photo's if that actually happens...

I might see about getting two and selling the other at a profit, but I personally don't know anyone in my area that does this for a hobby. They are all Q clearance ORNL (and can't talk about it)...

[Edited on 9-10-2014 by zenosx]

[Edited on 9-10-2014 by zenosx]

Albert Einstein
zenosx
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 8-10-2014 at 16:16

Thank you for that. It will take more than a month in ICU, an ostomy and most of my lower internal organs removed or halved to put me down! :)

Quote: Originally posted by CuReUS  
Quote: Originally posted by zenosx  

wow,inspite of such hardship ,i am amazed that you are still pursuing what you like ,whereas other people would be whining and complaining,you remind me of G.N lewis who also spent his last moments in the lab ,you have my respect

btw ,in the picture of the hood in the bottom right,there is purpulish residue on the ceiling .was someone playing with iodine;)

Albert Einstein
nlegaux
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 3-12-2014 at 20:44

I know it is a bit late, but if the seller still has some, may you U2U me the details? I think I may be within pickup distance of these. :D
FireLion3
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 8-12-2014 at 11:34

I wish I lived in that area..... a blower is easy to install. $250 is a steal! I remember I was shopping for a hood a while back and I couldn't find one for under several thousand dollars, so i just gave up and built one.

Go To Top