Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Basic steam distillation information.
isky
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 28-4-2005 at 09:13
Basic steam distillation information.

Hi there, i'm glad to be here. :)

I'm very new to chemistry, i'm tring to understand how steam distillation works, as i don't know too much about chemistry i'm searching for some easy examples. For ex:
A .pdf file that teach you how a distillation setup works (whit photos so i can see it) how a conderser works and how it's connected, etc, etc...

Thanks you.

isky.
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 28-4-2005 at 13:42

Isky,

Steam distillation is really very simple - I have done several of them for class assignments. It works on the principle of using steam to codistill a substance that is water immiscible. Even though that substance may have a high boiling point it will codistill over with water at a temperature below 100 C. This is due to the addition of the pure component vapor pressures to equal atmospheric pressure (usually ~ 760 mm Hg).

Any good organic chemistry lab manual will explain it fully and provide sketches of the equipment set up.

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
neutrino
International Hazard

Mood: oscillating

[*] posted on 28-4-2005 at 16:14

The basic gist (sp?) of the process is very simple if you have some grounding in the process of distillation.
Any substance will have a certain vapor pressure at any given temperature (except absolute zero, of course.) Say you have an organic substance with a vp of 25 mmHg at 100*C. This means that in a perfect vacuum at 100*C, the substance will evaporate a little and its vapor will exert a pressure of 25 mmHg on its container (note: 760 mmHg = 1 atmosphere). This is like water evaporating in below its boiling point.
If you pass steam over the substance, you will get a mixture of water vapor and a little bit of the vapor of your substance. Condense this and you will have the same thing—water and a little of your substance. Drain off the water and you now have your purified material.

Go To Top