Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Container as cathode?
Magius
Harmless

Mood: Constrianed

[*] posted on 10-5-2005 at 18:43
Container as cathode?

So, now that all the AP testing is done in school, I've been reading up on building a chlorate cell. To me, getting an oxidizer better then nitrates for only time and effort(parents pay for electricity), seems like a good deal. I've managed to aquire some graphite core welding rods, and I am in the process of stripping the Cu off them now.

Today while drinking some pop at my table watching the Cu slowly electrolyze of one of the rods, I had a thought. The inside of a soda can is Stainless Steel. They also happen to hold 355ml of liquid, So any 5V 2amp Power Supplies I have wouldn't push the amerage to much.(Found that information at here) Now, for a the real question. Could the can itself be used as the cathode itself with the graphite rod sticking down through the top(without touching the can) into solution?

Unless I'm missing something, only a ring of on conductive material would need to be placed around the hole in the top to stop the current from shorting out.

Idea's anyone?

Wait for it...
neutrino
International Hazard

Mood: oscillating

[*] posted on 10-5-2005 at 18:47

Sorry, soda cans are aluminum, not steel. I wouldn't use this for a (per)chlorate cell, as one spark and you're gone.
Magius
Harmless

Mood: Constrianed

[*] posted on 10-5-2005 at 18:49

Man, how could I have missed that. (Slaps self on head).
Alright then, on the same track, if a proper stainless steel container was obtained, could it be used as a cathode?

Wait for it...
12AX7
Post Harlot

Mood: informative

[*] posted on 10-5-2005 at 23:37

Ouch, aluminum of that thickness would disappear instantly in the presence of electrolytic caustic ;)

IIRC, stainless sucks, but titanium is good...or am I just remembering anode, which has to be graphite? *Shrug* titanium works fine for me. Got any titanium pop cans by any chance? :P

Hm, this should be moved to the chlorate thread, no?

Tim
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
uber luminal
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-5-2005 at 22:35

as response to the actual question... Yes, you could use the container as the cathode of anode. Keep in mind that nature is lazy and will pick the easiest path to complete the flow of electrons. So even if you use a container, only a small portion of the container will actualy get used for the process. that is unless your doing something that causes the surface to have something reduce on it, in which case there might be less resistance in areas not coated. (depending on the materials used). I have even rigged up a small motor to turn a cathode/tube around an anode rod in the center to get even coating on the surface.

*edit, Or if the surface of the container is being oxidized, the flow of electrons will move to the shortest distance, but eventualy I guess it would even out depending on where the cathode is placed.

you could use any material you wanted if it works with the cell your making. Aluminum will work, or stainless. it all depends on how you set up the cell. Check a std. reduction potential series for more help.

[Edited on 12-5-2005 by uber luminal]

Go To Top