Printable Version  
Author: Subject: nitric acid concentration by molecular sive
magnum
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 12-5-2005 at 03:27
nitric acid concentration by molecular sive

hi

i had an idea to use a molecular sive instead sulfuric acid to produce concentrated nitric acid. i thought about placing the nitric acid together with the molecular sive in a distillation flask. this should bind the warter and only the nitric acid will vaporise if heated.
the other idea is to fill a collum with the molecular sive so that it will absorb the warter out of the vapour.
did any one tryed this befor? because if it's known to be not working i don't want to waste my chemicals.
neutrino
International Hazard

Mood: oscillating

[*] posted on 12-5-2005 at 12:49

Couldn't you just mix the sieves in, let them stay for a little while, and then remove them? This sounds a lot easier than distillation (which leads to decomposition into water and NOx at atmospheric pressure).
magnum
Harmless

[*] posted on 13-5-2005 at 02:46

i don't think this will work because the sives are in form of small balls just like sand. they would soak up the nitric. the only way to get the nitric out would be a distillation. i thought to distill under vacuum this prevents the nitric acid from decomposion. because it seems that no one tryed this before i will go and buy some 53% nitric and give this a try as far as i go to my garden. i will post my results next week if the experiment is finished.
magnum
Harmless

[*] posted on 14-5-2005 at 08:48

i did a first test to see how the molecular sive and the nitric acid combine together with really strange results. i put a little bit of the sive in a beaker and pour some nitric over it. at first it warmed a bit like it does with warter but later as it cools the liquid turmed into some kind of gel. it seems like the molecular sive was destroyed by the nitric acid. i think it isn't possible to produce concentrated nitric acid this way but i'll try to distill this gelly stuff anyway to see what happens.

Go To Top