Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: flexible/elastic cyanoacrylate glue?
xxxxx
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 19-6-2005 at 13:17
flexible/elastic cyanoacrylate glue?

cyanoacrylate glue is wonderful stuff, unless you wish to join flexible or elastic materials which will be bending or stretching. then the rigid, crystalline glue will gradually crumble to bits breaking the bond. i would like to ask if they couldn't put an ether or an ester linkage on the monomer to make the polymer elastic and flexible while still retaining the adhesion confered by the cyano linkage.
sparkgap
International Hazard

Mood: chaotropic

[*] posted on 20-6-2005 at 03:10

The cyanoacrylates sometimes used in surgery form quite flexible polymers.

It doesn't have to be an ether or ester linkage. It only has to be such that the packing of the resulting polymer is not extensive and dense, implying that the starting material should be a "some random medium-sized group" cyanoacrylate. :)

sparky (~_~)

P.S. Interesting, this is. :)

"What's UTFSE? I keep hearing about it, but I can't be arsed to search for the answer..."
xxxxx
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 28-2-2009 at 07:40

i know this is a post on an old thread but locktite has begun public sale of a flexible cyanoacrylic adhesive. you can get the 20 gram bottle for about us$20 if you shop around. i have not tried this stuff yet. maybe someone could buy some and post a review.

01.jpg - 70kB
chemrox
International Hazard

Mood: LaGrangian

[*] posted on 28-2-2009 at 11:57

I have a pressure activated superstrong adhesive I use for splicing flylines. I believe it to be a cynoacrylate and will look it up to determine whether that's the case.

Mine is indeed another Locktite cyanoacrylate:

http://www.wentite.com/jscs/sgj/Product_414.pdf

[Edited on 1-3-2009 by chemrox]

"When you let the dumbasses vote you end up with populism followed by autocracy and getting back is a bitch." Plato (sort of)

Go To Top