Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  ..  5
Author: Subject: Readily Available Chemicals Website
I am a fish
undersea enforcer

Mood: Ichthyoidal

[*] posted on 19-1-2003 at 12:28
Readily Available Chemicals Website

I recently asked about chemicals that can be 'easily' purchased by private individuals on sci.chem. I compiled the responses and information aquired from various websites into a list at http://www.hyperdeath.co.uk/chemicals.

What do you think? Are there any errors or major omissions?

Chris
Polverone
Now celebrating 21 years of madness

Mood: Waiting for spring

[*] posted on 19-1-2003 at 14:03

That page looks nice. You have a good start.

Ammonium chloride is also found in soldering fluxes.
Ammonium nitrate is also found in some chemical instant cold packs.
Boric acid is also found as an insecticide and at pottery/ceramics suppliers.
Calcium carbonate is also found at pottery/ceramics suppliers.
What you have labeled "calcium chlorate (I)" is actually calcium hypochlorite; calcium chlorate would be Ca(ClO3)2.
I've never seen any moth flakes that contained camphor but this may vary by country.
Purer carbon can be found in the form of activated charcoal, available for water purification in fish tanks at pet stores.
Large graphite rods can be found as carbon "gouging rods" or "brazing rods" at a welding supplier.
Food grade citric acid is very pure.
If you want pure nitrous oxide, and not nitrous oxide + whipped cream, you can buy small "whippets" of the gas from restaurant suppliers.
Your use of consistent IUPAC nomenclature is admirable but almost everybody will recognize "oxalic acid" faster than "ethanedioic acid."
Likewise, you might want to include the more common name "ethylene glycol" for ethan-1,2-diol.
Formaldehyde solution is also sold (at least in the U.S.) as disinfectants for chemical toilet systems.
Your "lithium chlorate (I)" I would also call "lithium hypochlorite."
Magnesium metal can be found in some sacrificial anodes for water heaters at plumbing suppliers.
Nitromethane is also found, relatively pure, in some solvents for cyanoacrylate adhesives (superglue).
I'm fairly surprised to find that pentyl ethanoate is an ingredient in some paint strippers - is it just a small amount placed as a fragrance additive, for the banana smell?
I have also seen potassium chloride sold as a fertilizer - "muriate of potash" - and sold in large quantities for softening water.
Potassium dichromate is also found through some pottery/ceramics suppliers.
Potassium permanganate is also sold at hardware stores (some) for removing iron from some older water filters.
Silicon dioxide is available in higher purity and finer particle sizes either from pottery suppliers or as "diatomaceous earth," sold for use in gardening and in filtering swimming pool water.
You will have a very hard time finding pure sodium nitrite (at least in the U.S.) as a meat preservative. Most preservatives are pre-mixed and contain a relatively small amount.

And now for some things that didn't make your list to begin with.
Barium carbonate is sold through pottery suppliers.
Calcium carbide, CaC2, is available as an acetylene source for old-style headmounted caving/mining lights.
Calcium fluoride - pottery suppier.
Chromium (III) oxide - pottery supplier.
Cobalt oxide and carbonate - pottery supplier.
Copper (II) oxide - pottery supplier.
Basic copper carbonate (mixture of copper carbonate and hydroxide) - pottery supplier.
Fructose - grocery/health food store.
Lithium metal is found inside lithium batteries.
Methyl ethyl ketone is found as a solvent in hardware/paint stores.
Nickel carbonate and oxide - pottery supplier.
Paraformaldehyde, polymerized formaldehyde, is available as a disinfectant for chemical toilets and as camping fuel tablets (often labeled "trioxane.")
Potassium carbonate is sold at pottery suppliers as "pearl ash."
Potassium chlorate - some photo suppliers.
Sodium bromide - "bromine base" for spas.
Sodium sulfide - photo supplier.
Sulfamic acid - hardware store.
Strontium carbonate - pottery supplier.
Vanadium pentoxide - pottery supplier.

This list could easily be twice as long if I included everything that you can get from pottery suppliers. Check out http://www.clayartcenter.com for an idea of what's possible; they have the largest selection of materials I've seen at any pottery supplier. Likewise, look at an online photo supplier like http://www.photoformulary.com to see how many things are available as photo supplies. I'm sorry that I only have these two U.S.-based sites to point you to, but I haven't looked outside the U.S. since shipping would be so expensive for me.
I am a fish
undersea enforcer

[*] posted on 20-1-2003 at 09:26

Thanks for your comments. I'll add your suggestions to the list.

With regard to your criticisms of the list:

1. Chlorate(I) is a valid synonym for hypochlorite. Perhaps this is misleading and should be changed.

2. According to an Australian sci.chem user, camphor moth flakes are available. Apparently, they are better (for their intended purpose) than naphthalene, but far more expensive.

3. I sympathise with your opinion on IUPAC nomenclature. However, it's very difficult to find a compromise between systematic and trivial names. Are there any other names you think need changing?

4. I think your right about Pentyl Ethanoate and Sodium Nitrite. I'll remove them.

With regard to pottery and photographic suppliers:

I think I'm going to remove everything that comes from either of these and put up links to specific companies. There's no point doing what the companies' web-sites can obviously do better.

The two sites you gave looked good (although I imagine that shipping to the UK would cost a fortune). I have found a UK equivalent for the photographic one (http://www.silverprint.co.uk), but have yet to find a decent pottery site.

Chris
Polverone

[*] posted on 20-1-2003 at 14:39

I did not realize that chlorate (I) is a valid name; my apologies. I am used to seeing oxidation state Roman numerals only after cations. Do you do the same with other compounds? I.E. could NaNO2 be sodium nitrate (III)?

Your point about Australian camphor moth flakes reminds me: it would be useful if you added a "Geographical Region" field. For example, sodium chlorate weed killers are widely available in the UK and mainland Europe, but they are not to be found in the US or Canada. Methanol is readily available in the US (UK as well?) but I know that it is forbidden in consumer products in some European countries.

I believe that I mentioned the names that seemed to be too uncommon as IUPAC constructs. One possible remedy would be to change "Name Sold Under" to "Synonyms" and list trivial and archaic names there (I realize that this would be more work for you and might make the table too large).
I am a fish
undersea enforcer

[*] posted on 22-1-2003 at 10:00

I've updated it. Thanks for your help.

Chris
PoDuck
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

thumbup.gif posted on 17-2-2003 at 22:57
F8pMNrtc

Before I get started, I should state that I am quite new to amateur chemistry. My experience is limited to the limited amount of chemistry classes I took in college, and I have just recently regained interest. Therefore, I stand to be corrected quite often on this or any other chemistry related board.

That being said, I've been doing a little research about finding chemicals in common places, and synthesizing what you can't easily buy. Because of this, I have been able to notice at least one thing that should be clarified in case someone gets the wrong idea. It's just a slight oversight though. You stated that calcium hydroxide is lime. Lime is sold at hardware stores as "lime" and "quicklime." Basically, they use the term interchangably for both calcium oxide and calcium hydroxide. The names which it goes by that won't be confused are slaked lime, and hydrated lime. It can also be made from quicklime by just adding 1 part water to 4 parts quicklime.

Other sources for aluminum powder may be paint stores that supply automotive paint. Aluminum powder is used to make some metalic paints, and if you know about auto paint, you know that you mix your own stuff. I've heard that it can be found at pottery supply places too.

Another source for calcium chloride is home brewing suppliers. A food grade version which is quite pure is sold as an additive for making beer.

You stated that the aluminum powder may be wax coated, but nothing about aluminum foil. Aluminum foil often has impurities and coatings on it.

Ammonium nitrate solution is not in cold packs. The cold packs with ammonium nitrate are the ones that you squeeze to break the bag of water inside. The water mixes with the AN and cools. The blue ones you put in the freezer are some sort of glycol.

Acetic acid is one you may wish to put up there. That is the main ingredient in vinegar.

I'm actually working on my own list of sources for chemicals, and synthesis of chemicals. Right now, I'm looking for a source of ammonium hydroxide that is more pure than the household ammonia you buy at grocery stores, or a simple method using commonly acquired chemicals to create pure ammonia gas that I can manufacture my own with, or add purity to household ammonia with.
I am a fish
undersea enforcer

[*] posted on 18-2-2003 at 08:52

Quote:
That being said, I've been doing a little research about finding chemicals in common places, and synthesizing what you can't easily buy. Because of this, I have been able to notice at least one thing that should be clarified in case someone gets the wrong idea. It's just a slight oversight though. You stated that calcium hydroxide is lime. Lime is sold at hardware stores as "lime" and "quicklime." Basically, they use the term interchangably for both calcium oxide and calcium hydroxide. The names which it goes by that won't be confused are slaked lime, and hydrated lime. It can also be made from quicklime by just adding 1 part water to 4 parts quicklime.

You're right; it was ambiguous. I've changed Ca(OH)2 to Slaked Lime / Hydrated Lime

Quote:
Other sources for aluminum powder may be paint stores that supply automotive paint. Aluminum powder is used to make some metalic paints, and if you know about auto paint, you know that you mix your own stuff. I've heard that it can be found at pottery supply places too.

Added That

Quote:
Another source for calcium chloride is home brewing suppliers. A food grade version which is quite pure is sold as an additive for making beer.

Added That

Quote:
You stated that the aluminum powder may be wax coated, but nothing about aluminum foil. Aluminum foil often has impurities and coatings on it.

I've modified that.

Quote:
Ammonium nitrate solution is not in cold packs. The cold packs with ammonium nitrate are the ones that you squeeze to break the bag of water inside. The water mixes with the AN and cools. The blue ones you put in the freezer are some sort of glycol.

I've never seen that type of cold-pack before. I just assumed that it meant the freezer ones. I've changed that.

Thanks for your help,

Chris
PoDuck
Harmless

[*] posted on 18-2-2003 at 18:14

One thing I found that may help you in your search for sources for chemicals is this site.

http://www.scorecard.org/chemical-profiles/

It seems to be a database of hazard information, but it does give you an idea of where to look for chemicals. It's helped me on a couple obscure ones.
Polverone

[*] posted on 19-2-2003 at 11:40
ammonia / ammonium hydroxide

Quote:
Right now, I'm looking for a source of ammonium hydroxide that is more pure than the household ammonia you buy at grocery stores, or a simple method using commonly acquired chemicals to create pure ammonia gas that I can manufacture my own with, or add purity to household ammonia with.

Plain, clear grocery store ammonia is pretty pure but not very concentrated. You can find somewhat more concentrated ammonia solution as a janitorial supply. You can find much more concentrated ammonia solutions for use in blueprinting and, of course, from a laboratory supplier.

If you are in the U.S. look at http://www.al-chymist.com or www.photoformulary.com.

To prepare ammonia gas you can react an ammonia salt with a strong base. NaOH + NH4NO3 -> NH3 + NaNO3 + H2O. The more common (as fertilizer) ammonium sulfate can be substituted to yield a somewhat less desirable byproduct.

You don't say you need anhydrous ammonia so doing without a drying agent should be fine, although you will have difficulty getting some of that extremely-water-soluble ammonia out of the H2O generated by the reaction. Heating will help. In any case, as I hope you know, ammonia gas is extremely irritating and can be dangerous in high concentrations, so this isn't an indoor activity unless you are very sure you have taken sufficient precautions.
PoDuck
Harmless

[*] posted on 19-2-2003 at 15:02

I know all about the dangers of ammonia gas. In my high school chemistry class, there was a student that decided he wanted to take a whiff of some of the ammonia fumes coming off the ammonium hydroxide we had there. He ended up losing his breath, he passed out before he regained his breath, and he ended up going to the hospital. That in itself makes anyone who witnessed it have a great respect for the gas.

Thanks for the information.

[Edited on 19-2-2003 by PoDuck]
Haggis
Hazard to Others

Mood: Lacrymating

[*] posted on 19-2-2003 at 15:56

Aqueous Citric acid is sold for dehumidifiers. Sodium Carbonate is sold for cleaning coffee makers. Potassium bromide is sold by Kodak for film processing.
These are just OTC chems I have found recently, I'm not sure if they are useful, but if you are interested, I will look up the brand and mass of each container.
PoDuck
Harmless

[*] posted on 23-2-2003 at 20:28
Another source for mercury

A friend of mine got a large tylenol bottle full of mercury from mercury vapor lights. He said he broke them open gently and poured out the mercury. I'm not sure how much mercury is in each light though.
I am a fish
undersea enforcer

[*] posted on 17-3-2003 at 03:25

Quote:
Aqueous Citric acid is sold for dehumidifiers. Sodium Carbonate is sold for cleaning coffee makers. Potassium bromide is sold by Kodak for film processing.

I've tried looking for citric acid dehumidifiers, but have found nothing. Can you provide a reference?

With regard to coffer maker cleaner, I found some consisting of 'oxygen bleach' or sodium percarbonate. This has been added to the list. Is this what you were refering to?

I have made the decision not to add photographic chemicals to the list (except for the most rudimentary supplies). Otherwise, the list would essentially be a duplicate of a Silverprint or Photographers' Formulary catalogue.

Chris

1f `/0u (4|\\| |234d 7|-|15, `/0u |234||`/ |\\|33d 70 937 0u7 /\\/\\0|23.
Haggis
Hazard to Others

Mood: Lacrymating

[*] posted on 17-3-2003 at 15:05

Although I do not use it for anything, the aqueous citric acid is: "KAZ Humidifier & Vaporizer Treatment." Model: KWT-8. It is an 8 oz bottle and the label is mostly blue with the model in a yellow box. Contains: Citric acid and cationic.
Heh..."avoid contamination of food"

The coffee cleaner is "Brew Rite" brand. The bottle has an 80 looking decor style. This is an 8 oz (227 grams) container. "Contains: Sodium Carbonate."

Both were bought in America
Cappy
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 29-3-2003 at 20:44
Ammonium Nitrate

Quote:
Originally posted by PoDuck

It is true that ammonium nitrate is not found in all cold packs. However it is found in all INSTANT cold packs.

For the most accuracy and clarity, the description should be "powder in INSTANT cold packs."

The above post is not entirely correct (see below)

[Edited on 30-3-2003 by Cappy]
Cappy
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 29-3-2003 at 20:51
Constructive Criticism

The chemical formula of Zinc Oxide is not ZnCl2. :P
I am a fish
undersea enforcer

[*] posted on 30-3-2003 at 05:10

Quote:
The chemical formula of Zinc Oxide is not ZnCl2.

Fixed that.

Thanks,

Chris

1f `/0u (4|\\| |234d 7|-|15, `/0u |234||`/ |\\|33d 70 937 0u7 /\\/\\0|23.
Polverone

[*] posted on 30-3-2003 at 13:12
not all cold packs

For even more accuracy and clarity, it should be noted that some instant cold packs use urea instead of ammonium nitrate.
Cappy
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 30-3-2003 at 15:05

Quote:
Originally posted by Polverone
For even more accuracy and clarity, it should be noted that some instant cold packs use urea instead of ammonium nitrate.

I stand corrected. Can you find instant cold packs in the grocery store. If so, what section might they be in?
Organikum
resurrected

Mood: busy and in love

[*] posted on 30-3-2003 at 15:15

I never ever have seen paraformaldehyde - Trioxane camping fuel Polverone.
To be true I have heard of Trioxane´s military use as solid fuel. But this is as the name say trioxane aka metaformaldehyde and not paraformaldehyde. I never saw this in civil shops so.
If you have seen paraformaldehyde in fuel tablets it must have been a ghost or a mistake with PARALDEHYDE which indeed was sold as solid camping fuel many years ago. (Also in a slightly other polymerized form called METHALDEHYDE, which is reformed to PARALDEHYDE by heating carefully) If you stumble over some of these old ones and burn them you don´t know what you do. Paraldehyde is a list 1 sedative/hypnoticum and could (theoretically) be sold to the local junkies for....
but thats hypothetic and would be illegal.

So the best you can do if you find those, is to send them to me as I guarantee for the proper disposal. No costs. I have a good heart. ;)

The brandname was "META" manufactured by "LONZA" .
At least in europe.

Of course is paraldehyde (liquid) as methaldehyde (solid) a first class acetaldehyde source

Most solid fuel is Hexamine so (ESBIT) whats a good for everyone who wants methylamine and has not discovered acetamide yet. And all pyromantics of course.

ORG :D
Polverone

[*] posted on 30-3-2003 at 15:58
I stand corrected

You were right: I had confused metaformaldehyde (trioxane) with paraformaldehyde. If anybody stumbles across metaldehyde tablets and does not want to ship them all the way to the Czech Republic, I am available for disposal here on the west coast of the United States... ;)
Organikum
resurrected

Mood: busy and in love

[*] posted on 31-3-2003 at 17:26

Oh, thats not fair Polverone as I hoped I could dispose this useless red phosphorus in retour.
Will have to do it on the tomatoes again, hope they don´t have to much already. :P

[Edited on 1-4-2003 by Organikum]
Cappy
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 1-4-2003 at 10:58

Sodium azide is used in to inflate automobile airbags.

I don't know if the canisters can be found easily.
tangent
Harmless

Mood: introspective..

[*] posted on 2-4-2003 at 00:13

> For even more accuracy and clarity, it should be noted that some instant cold packs use urea instead of ammonium nitrate.

is this mixed w/ water or something else?

thanks,

-t

...Politics then reigned in Rome. She had her two sisters, Deceit and Greed, as ministers. Under their command, Ignorance, Fanaticism and Fury were seen to prevail in Europe. They brought wretchedness everywhere they went. Reason hid in the bottom of a well, along with her daughter, Truth. No one knew where this well was. If anyone had guessed, he would have gone down into it to cut the throats of mother and daughter.

-Voltaire, Eloge historique de la Raison, 1775

Throughout the world ... we use the word \'politics\' to describe the process so well: \'Poli\' in Latin meaning \'many\' and \'tics\' meaning \'blood****ing creatures\'.
madscientist
National Hazard

Mood: pyrophoric

[*] posted on 2-4-2003 at 09:35

According to the organic chemistry textbook used by Princeton University, phenyl azide is also used to inflate airbags.

I weep at the sight of flaming acetic anhydride.
 Pages:  1    3  ..  5

Go To Top