Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Cracked Glassware
Fleaker
International Hazard

Mood: nucleophilic

[*] posted on 6-8-2005 at 08:51
Cracked Glassware

Ok, I recently purchased 10 Duran bottles but when they arrived they has a small superficial crack on the base of the bottle. Not just one of the bottles, but on every single bottle in the same exact place, there is a crack. I think it might have been from improper tempering (the cracks are that close together).

Well, on to my question: how would I go about fixing these bottles? They're very nice excluding the crack on the base. I guess I'm wondering that if I go to heat it up to melt it back together, will the glass crack upon cooling, even this high quality borosilicate? Thanks for any advice/info from those of you who have experience with fixing broken glassware.
12AX7
Post Harlot

Mood: informative

[*] posted on 6-8-2005 at 09:34

AFAIK, BS (heh) works just like any other glass and I'd imagine you can weld it back together. It does melt hotter than soda-lime and shrinks less, but AFAIK you can't quench it or anything, nearly as much as quartz can, so you'll still have to melt it slowly, feather out stresses and anneal if possible.

Tim

P.S. Now you know why they were liquidation sale price :D

[Edited on 8-6-2005 by 12AX7]

Seven Transistor Labs LLC http://seventransistorlabs.com/
Electronic Design, from Concept to Layout.
Need engineering assistance? Drop me a message!
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
neutrino
International Hazard

Mood: oscillating

[*] posted on 6-8-2005 at 10:51

Make sure to anneal them afterward. This will prevent related cracking in the future.
bio2
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-8-2005 at 22:57

I've had some success with smaller glassware (borosilicate) with stars and hairline cracks by preheating in the kitchen oven to as hot as it goes then w/o removing the piece completely, melting the flaw together with a 000 or 00 Oxy/Acet welding tip using a carburizing flame.

If you have a better way to preheat then do it.
Annealing would be necessary if heating under vacuum or other rough duty.
ayush
National Hazard

[*] posted on 7-8-2005 at 04:36

Glassblowing for Laboratory Technicians

This is small book of over 2 MB useful for Glass Blowing Technicians. Enjoy.

Code:
http://rapidshare.de/files/625500/glassblowing_for_laboratory_technicians_barbour.djvu.html

Cloner
Hazard to Others

Mood: apocalyptic

[*] posted on 11-8-2005 at 09:40

I don't like the fact that there is no table of contents in that book, other than that it answers some questions I had myself.

No time to read it all now, but to the question of the initial poster: there is strain and stress in glass after the glassblower worked it. It is usually put in an oven after working, and then with a lamp the glassblower checks out whether there are still stresses. UV or IR lamp, I forgot which.
S.C. Wack
bibliomaster

Mood: Enhanced

[*] posted on 11-8-2005 at 09:54

? The table of contents is 4 pages long.
Primathon
Harmless

Mood: complacent

[*] posted on 11-8-2005 at 10:35
stress testing

Oxy/Propane is the preferred gas choice for working pyrex glass. As for stress testing, it's usually unnecessary after annealing a piece properly in a kiln (~1040°F) and letting it cool. If you want to see/find the stresses, look up information on polariscopes (I think that's what they're called). I've even see some DIY kits that just use polarized sunglass lenses in a creative arrangement to test for stress points.
Polverone
Now celebrating 21 years of madness

Mood: Waiting for spring

[*] posted on 11-8-2005 at 11:21

Quote:
Originally posted by Cloner
I don't like the fact that there is no table of contents in that book, other than that it answers some questions I had myself.

If you aren't seeing the table of contents, you probably are using an older DjVu reader that doesn't deal properly with newer DjVu files. I noticed out-of-order pages myself (so that the book would start with the first chapter and TOC was somewhere near the back) when using an older reader with some DjVu files.

PGP Key and corresponding e-mail address
Fleaker
International Hazard

Mood: nucleophilic

[*] posted on 11-8-2005 at 21:23

Well, my friend and I attempted a repair job using regular propane and an improvised kaowool kiln of sorts. The torch didn't have nearly enough heat to do the job so either I'll have to get oxypropane or oxy hydrogen to try and melt it. It took the heat suprisingly well, an estimated 1600F was obtained and the glass didn't crack or shatter upon cooling.

I might try and use a PVC material designed for coating things to add a cushion for the base (and perhaps to reinforce it).
bio2
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 11-8-2005 at 22:07

MAPP gas gets hot enough and is available in the little disposable cylinders.

Use a Turbo Torch type tip as they get quite a bit hotter than the standard ones, a couple hundred degrees IIRC

Speaking of MAPP; anyone try it for synthesis? Propadienes should react with damn near anything!

Go To Top