Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: can i use calcium chloride instead of zinc chloride?
flyboy
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-11-2014 at 19:39
can i use calcium chloride instead of zinc chloride?

Hello everyone, I'm new to chemistry and learning alone via youtube khan academy and crash course, etc. I'm addicted to this topic, finally someting truly difficult where not all the answers can be found!

But this one should be easy.. i can't figure it out for days from all i've read.. i have a procedure requiring zinc chloride in sulfuric acid, and wondering what i can use other than zinc chloride. From my research, one good answer is calcium chloride.

Am I right? And if not, can someone explain to me why not? What can I use instead? I believe the zinc chloride is there to absorb any h20 that remains or is absorbed/created in the sulfuric acid so that the sulfuric acid is pure and so it does not boil at 100c ? If I'm wrong about that, i'll start again from video one :) And yes, I know the hazards and have a safe lab to work in at the university. I'm not a student but my friend is and gets me in to work and learn a few hours ever week or two.

Thank you so much, i didn't want to move forward before i understood what was gong on, even if i do have to source zinc chloride.
chemrox
International Hazard

Mood: LaGrangian

[*] posted on 1-11-2014 at 20:08

You'll have to write out the reactions for us if you want an opinion. In general ZnCl2 is a highly reactive species and CaCl2 is a drying agent.

"When you let the dumbasses vote you end up with populism followed by autocracy and getting back is a bitch." Plato (sort of)
HgDinis25
Hazard to Others

Mood: Who drank my mercury?

[*] posted on 2-11-2014 at 03:29

First of, it's very difficult to have "pure" Sulfuric Acid. It would be quite unstable and release copious quantities of SO3 fumes (along with H2O vapour) until its concentration reached 98% (the most stable concentrated Sulfuric Acid). Also, the boiling point of Sulfuric Acid is much higher than 100ºC, it's around 300ºC and, at that temperature, decomposition also occurs.

About the Zinc Chloride, it's not a very good idea to add Zinc Chloride (or Calcium Chloride for that matter). Sulfuric Acid is strong enough to Protonate the Chloride ion, producing HCl and Zinc Sulfate (or Calcium Sulfate if Calcium Chloride is used). This effect is greatly enlarged if the reaction is done at higher temperatues.
vmelkon
National Hazard

Mood: autoerotic asphyxiation

[*] posted on 2-11-2014 at 04:37

I'm pretty sure you can't dry H2SO4 using any drying salts.

What are you trying to do?

Signature ==== Is this my youtube page? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tA5PYtul5aU
We must attach the electrodes of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance and give a few good jolts.
Yes my evolutionary friends. We are all homos here.

Go To Top