Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Urushibara Shelf Life
DP
Harmless

Mood: Cranky ;)

[*] posted on 10-8-2005 at 13:24
Urushibara Shelf Life

How long would Urushibara catalyst (U-Ni-AA to be exact) keep its reactivity once it has been prepared? Also, how many times could a person use it before the activity is lost and can it be recharged?
Fleaker
International Hazard

Mood: nucleophilic

[*] posted on 11-8-2005 at 21:44

I have a friend who is currently doing extensive testing on Urushibara catalysts and their peformance. IIRC, you have to keep them out of contact from oxygen (under ethanol) and they can be used multiple times if stored properly. The acid activated (with acetic acid) is the more sensitive I *think*

You might want to U2U NERV, he's doing a lot of work with these nickel catalysts and would probably offer you some good data/info and lend some of his experience to you.
NERV
Hazard to Others

Mood: Fluorinated

[*] posted on 15-8-2005 at 18:58

I am currently doing work at a local collage with Urushibara Nickel catalysts. I have only done work on U-Ni-A, and U-Ni-B so far but I will tell you my results for them as it may give you an idea for how long U-Ni-AA will last. The nickel precipitate is almost indefinitely stable at room temp, and in full contact with the atmosphere, but as soon as you activate it with either an acid or base it needs to be kept away form the air as much as possible as there is a slight diminishing of the catalysts potency in air (the catalyst lost almost all potency after about 2 months sitting in open air). Also the catalyst can be used multiple times but it is not recommended as catalyst activity decreases largely with each use. The Al based catalysts are supposedly not nearly as strong as the zinc based ones so your results may vary slightly.

hope that helps you out somewhat.

Vir sapit qui pauca loquitur.
DP
Harmless

Mood: Cranky ;)

[*] posted on 20-8-2005 at 06:05

I forgot I posted this so I never checked back... lol. Thanks for the info... this does help. ;)

Go To Top