Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Uric Acid
praseodym
Hazard to Others

Mood: crazy

[*] posted on 18-9-2005 at 02:23
Uric Acid

I recently got hold of some (quite a lot, in fact) uric acid. I have currently done a few experiments with it, namely forming crystals with it and the formation of murexide. One of the experiments go like this:

Firstly, I evaporated the uric acid with nitric acid, leaving behind a yellow stain. After that, it becomes intensely violet (or reddish purple) on addition of ammonia due to the formation of the murexide (ammonium salt).

However, these experiments kind of get boring after a few repetitions. The good thing is that I still have plenty of this uric acid left but the problem is that I don't really know what else can I do with this uric acid. Do you people have any ideas for me? I mean, I do not want to waste these precious chemicals and really want to put them to great use. Well, also because I want to see more of the reactions involving uric acid. So any recommendations on experiments involving uric acid?

Well, I would greatly appreciate it if I can do something spectacular with the uric acid. :) It would be cool:cool: if I am able to come up with some reactions that are violent or explosive. So any comments?

All comments are welcomed.
chemoleo
Biochemicus Energeticus

Mood: crystalline

[*] posted on 18-9-2005 at 07:23

Yes, formation of crystals is well-known, also for medical purposes.

So you turned uric acid

into murexide using HNO3?

What's the mechanism for this, particularly the deamidation that has to occur?

Also, you do realise that this is a derivative of barbituric acid (whose derivatives in turn are hypnotic agents)?

Although you may turn this into barbituric acid, be aware that B.A. on its own is not active, only i.e. the phenyl or diethylderivative.

Anyway, thought it's interesting to point this out.

[Edited on 18-9-2005 by chemoleo]

Never Stop to Begin, and Never Begin to Stop...
Tolerance is good. But not with the intolerant! (Wilhelm Busch)
praseodym
Hazard to Others

Mood: crazy

[*] posted on 18-9-2005 at 20:46

Quote:
Originally posted by chemoleo
Although you may turn this into barbituric acid, be aware that B.A. on its own is not active, only i.e. the phenyl or diethylderivative.

[Edited on 18-9-2005 by chemoleo]

Is barbitone one of them? Anyway, as I was saying, I do have a lot of 'leftovers' of uric acid, which I don't know what experiments I can do on them...So any comments? What reagents can I use on the uric acid to obtain some other substances?

Go To Top