Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: IKA stirrgin hotplate error
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-11-2014 at 14:02
IKA stirrgin hotplate error

I have a IKA stirring hotplate, RCT basic safety control, but as soon as I turn it on, it gives "err 25". Does anyone here know how to fix that or what broke? The IKA manual online seems rather useless, as it just says that the safety circuit is "Move device switch (A) to the ON position a Indication on the display (F) Err 25 " in typical user manual gibberish. and the bit below, which looks like lawyers work.

Warning: The safe temperature limit must always be set at least 25
°C lower then the flash point of the media to be processed!
Functional check of inactivating the safety circuit.
Position the safe temperature limit at the left (50°C)

Any IKA users out there have a clue?

IrC
International Hazard

Mood: Discovering

[*] posted on 11-11-2014 at 18:52

Have you checked the position of the safe temperature limit adjusting screw (page 18 of manual) making sure it has not been run against a stop.

Attachment: ika_rct_basic_sc_speed.pdf (1.5MB)
This file has been downloaded 1628 times

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" Richard Feynman
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-11-2014 at 20:44

I have tried turning it down (got to 48) and then back up to 200+, but did not undo it just a little. I'll try it. I would like to fix it for my own use if i can, as I really need the ability to heat an aluminum vial holding block to a set temperature control with the temp probe, and I had this one around, but had not yet tried to fix it until now, when I need it. I would love to find a service manual. I am not a great electronics expert, I mostly just replace bad power cords and loose parts, but this is a really nice hotplate, and I would love to be able to use it for a specific task. Otherwise I would just use a Corning one, which I have plenty of, but hard to control the temperature as well. I like the IKAs, but they cost a fortune, and are harder to find used at a good price.
Magimix
Harmless

[*] posted on 3-10-2020 at 16:22

hey sorry to dig this topic but I just want to know if Dr.Bob found a solution to this issue ?

So, to bring my piece of the cake, I've this error with my actual IKA rct basic and I contacted the technical service of IKA.
First they told me to check the heating foil. Resistance should be ~80 ohm for my model.
So I did it, and found ~80 ohm.
After the asked me if the grey contact plug backside was connected ?
It was connected, so, after that they told me that "it seems that the pcb must be replaced".

So, if anyone have a clue of what is the element which cause the error on the pcb it would me save me money ^^

Thanks !
valeg96
Hazard to Others

Mood: Moodless

[*] posted on 11-10-2020 at 05:54

A replacement pcb is around 200€. I can't imagine you trying to repair that microprinted stuff; the best option is to sell it for parts and buy some non digital one, like a Heidolph 3001, 2002, or an IKAMAG RCT.

Unfortunately those hotplates are (intentionally, I dare say) designed with the pcbs too close to the heat source and are bound to fail after 5-10 years, which is ridiculous considering how much they retail for. I've once had around 8 of them to try and fix, and the only way they can be fixed is by cannibalizing multiple broken models and changing pieces until there are no more errors.

Spoiler alert: out of 7-8 hotplates that showed various errors there were enough working pcbs to make just a single functioning one. I now have a bunch of empty shells, motors and heating elements but no pcbs.

[Edited on 11-10-2020 by valeg96]

OldNubbins
Hazard to Others

Mood: Comfortably Numb

[*] posted on 11-10-2020 at 11:04

http://staff.washington.edu/wbeaty/chem_stir.html

Use the empty shells with the elements and add a microcontroller with a PID algorithm (example code all over the net), temperature sensor, and a relay and you got yourself a working unit for around $20.

[Edited on 10-11-2020 by OldNubbins]

Go To Top