Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Alternative Lubricants
Dr.Freemanstein
Hazard to Self

Mood: Knackered

[*] posted on 27-9-2005 at 14:35
Alternative Lubricants

I have been recently considering a future without oil. So, research abounds in all sorts of areas. One area that is being a bit of a bugger, is that of mechanical lubrication. For instance, in a future without oil, what could we possibly use to effectively and efficiently lubticate moving parts instead of oil. I have tried to do some diggin on this subjuct, but have hit many brick walls!!! The only firm bit of info i have discovered is the possible uses of Graphite as a lubricant, but I doubt Graphite (as we know it) could be used to lubricate, say, a vehicle engine. Has anyone else done any thinking in this area??? :o

My nick is not a reference to Half-Life!!!!!
http://www.freemansteins-lab.co.uk/
Mr. Wizard
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 27-9-2005 at 18:33

I don't think we'll ever have a lubricating oil problem, as the relative quantity of petroleum used for this purpose is tiny compared to the amount of fuel consumed. We'll be whining a lot more about the fuel prices before we get to the lubricant.

Castor Oil, from the Castor Bean plant can be used as a lubricant. It also makes a hydraulic fluids used in the old Soviet era airplanes when mixed with glycerine and methanol, and works at very low temperatures. Castor oil is still used in model toy engines, and has a distinctive smell. 100 pounds ( about 45Kilograms) of beans are supposed to yield about 5 gallons (about 20 liters) of oil. The trees will live over the winter in many mild climates and produce abundant quantities of beans. They thrive in the poor soil where I live, needing only water and sunshine, and they'll produce the first year. Jojoba bean oil is supposed to be a great lubricant, and is actually a liquid wax. It is a great safe lubricant but it's very tough to bring enough plants to maturity to make Jojoba profitable.

Can anyone else mention any 'home grown' lubricating sources?
Twospoons
International Hazard

Mood: A trace of hope...

[*] posted on 27-9-2005 at 18:34

You can't have dug very hard. How about :
silicone oils, vegetable oils as wet lubricants,
molybdenum disulphide, teflon, silicone as dry lubricants,
nylon, acetal, teflon, antimony alloys, 'white metal', air, magnetic fields as dry bearing materials

Helicopter: "helico" -> spiral, "pter" -> with wings
12AX7
Post Harlot

Mood: informative

[*] posted on 27-9-2005 at 19:26

White metal: actually to work best this still needs a thin film (0.001" or so) of oil.

Natural lipids are all around us, if worse comes to worse, biodiesel type derivatives can be processed thoroughly to make pretty much the same things as we have now, I imagine.

If worse comes to worse we could oligomerize hydrocarbons (including CH4, which I'm guessing can be made by reducing CO2, which itself can be extracted from carbonate rock) under pressure and temperature to make a low yield of longer chains: gas, solvent, fuel, fuel oil, oil, etc. Such products as ethylene of course can be polymerized under control to make longer things (or smaller things I imagine? I've never heard about polyethylene oils though).

Tim

Seven Transistor Labs LLC http://seventransistorlabs.com/
Electronic Design, from Concept to Layout.
Need engineering assistance? Drop me a message!
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
Dr.Freemanstein
Hazard to Self

Mood: Knackered

[*] posted on 28-9-2005 at 00:02

Hmmm....

Did'nt consider the plant option! That is a good one. As for the rest of them, even Graphite come to think of it, are'nt really viable future resourses, as they still have to be processed from elements which have a finite availablity, and we would eventually have just the same problem as we are currently facing with oil.

Vegetable could be a positive step forward!

My nick is not a reference to Half-Life!!!!!
http://www.freemansteins-lab.co.uk/
12AX7
Post Harlot

Mood: informative

[*] posted on 28-9-2005 at 12:06

Not really, graphite can be syntesized from natural tars and charcoal. :)

Tim

Seven Transistor Labs LLC http://seventransistorlabs.com/
Electronic Design, from Concept to Layout.
Need engineering assistance? Drop me a message!
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger

Go To Top