Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Reversible color change for DNA seq
crazyboy
Hazard to Others

Mood: Marginally insane

[*] posted on 17-11-2014 at 13:54
Reversible color change for DNA seq

Hey it's been a while. I'm in a instrumentation class where we have been tasked with designing a novel assay or DNA sequencing technique. I had the idea of designing a technique where the addition of base could be detected by a change in color of a substrate. The idea would be that a fragment to be sequenced would be sequentially exposed to one nucleotide at a time, if it is integrated the pyrophosphate would be converted to ATP as in pyrosequencing however the ATP would activate an enzyme which induces a reversible color change.

What I'm having trouble with is coming up with a small molecule or protein which would be suitable for this. Ideally the molecule will be colorless or have a certain absorbance in one state and then will be converted to a colored state or a state which it has a different spectral absorbance. Also ideally the substance would be regenerated to its original state easily such as by light or heat.

I thought maybe beta carotene or another colored substance with a conjugated pi system could be disrupted by a reductase but I'm not sure how that would be reversed. Alternatively changing the oxidation state of a complexed metal ion.

Alternatively if the molecule could was highly sensitive to pH changes that could work as H+ is liberated by nucleotide integration.

I suppose if all the enzymes were immobilized the signalling chemical could be replaced after each addition but that might introduce new problems (or not)

What do you guys think?
Chemosynthesis
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 17-11-2014 at 14:32

Why post this in Organic Chemistry?
Cyclic voltammetry of a transition metal complex that changes color based on pH (similar to PMID 16156624) ala ion torrent sequencing.
crazyboy
Hazard to Others

Mood: Marginally insane

[*] posted on 17-11-2014 at 17:14

You're right, probably should be moved to general. It's a hard thing to conceive, if it was simple it's already been done and if it's brilliant I can't figure it out.

[Edited on 18-11-2014 by crazyboy]

Go To Top