Printable Version  
Author: Subject: mono-chlorination propiophenone
zaltar
Harmless

Mood: sock puppet

cool.gif posted on 22-11-2014 at 03:56
mono-chlorination propiophenone

Synthesis of alpha-chloropropiophenone.

Sodiumhypochlorite (household bleech) can be used in conviniently monochlorinate ph-o-et to 1-chloro 2-propiophenone. In this initial reaction process i will try to formulate the it as precise as possible. Normaly found on the internet ,bromination of propiophenone is discribed with elemental bromine. At first i thought i do the chlorination with chlorine gas but i had read that there will over chlorate the compound to its di-chloride and becomes unusable for the products ive had in mind.

Mono chlorination with NaOCl is a relaiable reagent but there are some small know this. NaOCl reacting with propiophenone where the mono halogen is placed the hypochlorite has gained one hydrogen wile losing ist halogen forms NaOH, this sodiumhydroxide will react with the monochlorocompound to form 1-hydroxy propiophenone and NaCl (salt). This is also handy for other pruposes, but for now the halogentype we will need at firtst. My idea to increase the yeild of halo-Compound is convert the hydroxy type back to its halogen with dillute hydrochloric acid.Here after isolating the endproduct from its acidic solutiun cann be done without any difficulties.

Attachment: halogenationppne.pdf (635kB)
This file has been downloaded 1196 times

Go To Top