Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: 12% BF3 in methanol, safety issues?
Fleaker
International Hazard

Mood: nucleophilic

[*] posted on 18-11-2005 at 19:09
12% BF3 in methanol, safety issues?

~This is more of a safety related post and I hope to consult the collective experience of our esteemed forum members :) ~

I have an experiment (esterification-related obviously) that requires the use of this reagent. I have never used it before, and yes, I have read the MSDS as well as the bottle label. From what I have read, BF3 is highly toxic by inhalation, ingestion, and skin absorption and causes "irreversible damage".

I will be using this compound on a semi-frequent basis for my research. With that said, does anyone know if there are cumulative effects from prolonged and repeated exposure (although I will be under a fume hood at all times)? Also, just how dangerous is this compound (is the MSDS an exaggeration?) and does anyone here have any personal experience with its use or any anecdotal information pertinent to safe use of this substance?

Thanks to any with insight!
Eclectic
National Hazard

Mood: Obsessive

[*] posted on 18-11-2005 at 19:54

Just as a guess, I'd say treat it as if it were hydrofluoric acid.
mick
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 19-11-2005 at 11:40

I do not think there is much information on this chemical. Work in a fume hood. Wear good quality gloves and the rest. Disposable gloves are crap.
mick
mick
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 20-11-2005 at 11:16

Handling a small amount of an unknown chemical should not be a problem. Handling 45 gal drums of 70% NaOH with out all the kit could be. Every time you wash the jeans more holes appear.
mick

Go To Top