Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Chemical Storage Containers
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 20-2-2006 at 12:26

I still have all bromine in its original ampoules. I'm waiting for a friend, who works on a lab, where they use bromine for synthetic purposes. When they have an empty bromine-bottle, then he gives me the bottle in which the bromine was stored. He then also gives me a special transfer pipette (I do not know how these look like, I'll let me be surprised) which can be used to transfer bromine from the bottle in sub-ml quantities, without the need to tilt the bottle. No dripping of bromine and no risk of pouring over the rim, pouring besides the test tube and other kinds of very unpleasant things. That's precisely what I want.

In many labs in the Netherlands I understood it is forbidden to pour bromine from bottles. An opened bromine bottle must be fixed to its place and may not be moved. The only way to get bromine from the bottle is through a transfer pipette. I think this is a good safety measure, which makes working with this dangerous chemical more safe (but still risky of course).

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 5-6-2006 at 19:21

I have tried to store concentrated HCl (36%) in a ground glass bottle in my hood. Over time the other glass bottles in the hood acquire a white film, and some of my nearby steel tools are showing rust. I have concluded that this HCl must be banished to the shed outside.

I have not had much luck with ether also. I placed it in a freezer but it began to smell in there also. I now have it in a glass bottle with HDPE lid seal. This seems to be working. I'm planning on buying a case of 250mL bottles with narrow necks and Teflon lid seals for volatile liquids.

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
The_Davster
A pnictogen

Mood: .

[*] posted on 5-6-2006 at 20:22

On a ground glass stoppered bottle with something volatile inside, I put a layer of saran wrap secured with a tight rubber band. Works wonders on the HCl and HNO3. Saran wrap is not attacked by fuming nitric, this is easy for it. And this is for HCl in a bottle indoors, without a hood over it. I do keep the bulk HCl outside though.

My chemical cabinet has a nice smell to it inside...:)

100PercentChemistry
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 2-4-2016 at 04:29

I used film canisters, juice bottles from online, and amber glass bottles. The proper Pyrex bottles are too expensive considering the array of chemicals I have and the small amount of each.
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top