Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Venlafaxine
Broken Gears
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 21-12-2005 at 07:38
Venlafaxine

Hey all.

Im sorry for asking one of these stupid questions: what can I make of... But here goes.

I have change alot of things in my life recently and my life have become so much better. But all of that is another story.
My therapist and I have started decreasing my dosage of anti-depression medication, because I really dont like and need that shit anymore... I think.

I have alot of this VENLAFAXINE in high dosage laying around, because I get a smaller dose now.

So my stupid question is: Can I use it in some interesting chemistry, like making in to another Phenethylamine?

Im NOT looking for some high, Ive spend far to long of my life high.

The name of this drug is: 1-[2-dimethylamino-1-(4-methoxyphenyl)-ethyl]cyclohexan-1-ol

Chemical formula: C17H27NO2

So there you have it. A dumb question and a little piece of my life story.

-The almost fixed Gears :-)
Blind Angel
National Hazard

Mood: Meh!

[*] posted on 21-12-2005 at 07:59

Good to know that you're feeling better and that you're slowly quitting antidepressant.

To answer your question:
No, here's why:
First: To make a phenethylamine ou of it you would have to cleave the methoxy group on the phenyl and the cyclohexanol group, not easily doable (if doable) and not economic at all

Secondly, even though they are high dosage, you'd need an enormous quantity of those pills to have a workable amount, considering lost in extraction and in manipulation

And finaly, i wouldn't mess with pills anyways, they are full of filler that are a bugger to get rid of.

/}/_//|//) /-\\/|//¬/=/_
My PGP Key Fingerprint: D4EA A609 55E4 7ADD 8529 359D D6E2 33F6 4C76 78ED
Broken Gears
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 22-12-2005 at 11:19

Okay, but there must be something to do with em. I hate just to throw them down the drain, pills like that are expensives. And I dont like having them laying around.
I could save em for awhile as a backup.
NERV
Hazard to Others

Mood: Fluorinated

[*] posted on 22-12-2005 at 22:20

I hate to say it but I really doubt you'll ever be able to find a use for the pills. Just the effort needed to extract the pure 1-[2-dimethylamino-1-(4-methoxyphenyl)-ethyl]cyclohexan-1-ol from all of the binders and whatnot is enough of a deterrent like Blind Angel said. Plus the only real useful compounds for organic synthesis would come from its base components, and it would be a chemist’s nightmare to try and break that stuff down. I think your best bet is to either save 'em for a rainy day or dump ‘em down the drain.

Vir sapit qui pauca loquitur.
Drunkguy
Hazard to Others

Mood: somewhat pissed.

[*] posted on 23-12-2005 at 16:46

hey you wanna send me the left over pills i'd like to eat them. I have read patents about O-desmethyl venla' but since venla' is already a pro drug to this u might as well just sleep on the idea of carrying out a demethylation.
Sandmeyer
National Hazard

Mood: abbastanza bene

[*] posted on 23-12-2005 at 18:57

reading this thread is a highly recomended anti-depressant..

[Edited on 24-12-2005 by Sandmeyer]
andresderis
Harmless

[*] posted on 24-12-2005 at 02:19

don't lose your time buddy

anphetamines are very toxic compounds...but if you want to make some interesting compund , can make something like msds or another propylamine compunds....furthermore , make from vnlafaxine it's very hard...just forget that
Broken Gears
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 25-12-2005 at 12:23

Quote:
Originally posted by Drunkguy
hey you wanna send me the left over pills i'd like to eat them.

You like to eat them?
It takes a week for the pills to start working right. Besides if you are not taking in on a daily basic as a tretment, you'll get a Serotonin syndrome (overdose of some kind)
I know we a not allowed to trade or sell on this site, but I have no use for them.

Thank you all for taking you time to answer my question and enlighting a little chemistry for me.
stygian
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 25-12-2005 at 19:20

I have used effexor recreationally before. A single time use dose (high enough, 150mg+) creates a pretty intense euphoria. That whole "takes a week or two" business is BS. The hangover is pretty awful though.
Broken Gears
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 26-12-2005 at 03:34

As if as I know its "depot" pills and that means that the active drug is slowly released into your system. Making the effeckt longer throughout the day, not creating short rush/high. I have never heard of abuse of these pills, but then again I may be wrong.
Drunkguy
Hazard to Others

Mood: somewhat pissed.

[*] posted on 27-12-2005 at 10:55

I wouldn't really say the effects are 'recreational'. Infact by saying I would eat the pills was simply stating that they are better than nothing, this is not saying that they are fun. They are what is known as a 'dual reuptake inhibitor' meaning that in addition to serotonin (boring), they also inhibit the uptake or norephedrine. Stimulant drugs such as amphetamine also inhibit the uptake of norephedrine. Repeated administration of venlafaxine over several weeks/months leads to a down regulation of beta-adrenergic receptors. This means if you continue taking it for any length of time you'll be left with a typical serotonin reuptake inhibitor.
andresderis
Harmless

[*] posted on 27-12-2005 at 13:32

norephedrine= dopamine'???

if it doesn't something like that , you're very wrong
stygian
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 27-12-2005 at 14:10

Norephedrine isn't correct. It's norepinephrine (noradrenaline). It's norephedrine with catechol instead of mere phenyl ring. Serotonin isn't boring. I would take around 300mg at a time and have a geeky smile plastered on my face all day. Not boring. The NE depletion the next day, as i said, is pretty awful.

Edit: I also remember reading somewhere that very high doses of venlafaxine are also Dopamine reuptake inhibitors (very strange pharmacology venlafaxine has, different actions at different dosages)

[Edited on 27-12-2005 by stygian]

Go To Top