Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Vacuum Pump Model 1400
greenyppols
Hazard to Self

Mood: Who's been messin' with my moods?

[*] posted on 26-1-2006 at 16:10
Vacuum Pump Model 1400

Hi. Just sittin' here admiring a vacuum pump that I was waiting for a gauge for, as I was anxious to see what vacuum this puppy would pull.

Its a scientific-welch 1400. Bought from a favorite auction site. When I received it, I decided to "open 'er up" to see what makes these things go 'round n 'round. I was disappointed to see huge..disgusting..didnt-try-to-identify-or-even-sniff-it brown GUNK oooooozing all over the insides. So I took it all apart, cleaned it out, loosened a stuck rotor spring so the vanes on one side would properly seal, ran about 1/2 gallon vac oil through it and changing it out until it came out clear..or as clear as it was gonna get...and put it all back together. (Im way more mechanically inclined then chemistrially(?) chemistrically(?) inclined. lol)

And look at the vac it pulls!! I'd guess it to be somewhere around 29.25 inHg if the gauge is nearly accurate. I understand this to be off the factory specs of this model, I think its supposed to pull down to 10microns, but what the heck. Im happy, for the low low rockbottom price of $36. Nope. Not a typo. Ok, ok, the shipping was another $40, but still..I think I got a deal considering the cost of these things, and the rebuild kit would cost around $200 so I could potentially have a virtually-new vac pump for that total cost....oh, and the $25 for the gauge,too.

so now for my real question. I ran out of the vac oil I was using and bought some vac oil stuff locally. Previously, the oil hadnt turned cloudy (after it was cleaned out) but this time..it did.

So the question is, any people have a particular favorite oil that they've found superior to other oils? The oil I used previously was robinair premium whatever-it-said.

I was also thinking that if anyone was interested in a pictorial of a vacuum pump re-build? Nothing fancy or really detailed or anything, but I figured it would be my contribution of sorts to a forum I feel I've milked pretty hard. lmao. I dont know how to post something like that, but I'll cross that bridge if anyone showed interest, I guess. I may go and do it anyway but classes started this week, so....time is cramped.

And anyone know how these would be reconditioned? I imagined to just use a cylinder honing stone thingy to clean up the bores, and toss in the rebuild parts, but this honing part may do more harm than good.

So what ya'll think?

[Edited on 27-1-2006 by greenyppols]

Vac 1400.jpg - 653kB
greenyppols
Hazard to Self

Mood: Who's been messin' with my moods?

[*] posted on 26-1-2006 at 16:12

oh, when I first turned it on, it went to 29 pretty fast and slowly climbed up. Was this a good thing? I realize it may not be so low when its actually hooked to something, or can I expect it stay around the same?
IrC
International Hazard

Mood: Discovering

[*] posted on 26-1-2006 at 16:47

"So the question is, any people have a particular favorite oil that they've found
superior to other oils? The oil I used previously was robinair premium
whatever-it-said."

Stick with that.

"I was also thinking that if anyone was interested in a pictorial of a vacuum pump re-build? Nothing fancy or really detailed or anything, but I figured it would be my contribution of sorts to a forum I feel I've milked pretty hard."

I think that would be great, I have one I need to work on but am not really that experienced with these things.

Go To Top