Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Some experiments with Sulfur
nlegaux
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 8-12-2014 at 14:13
Some experiments with Sulfur

Recently, I synthesized some Copper Sulfide by heating copper metal and sulfur powder in a crucible over a fire for several hours. After this, I became curious as to what would happen when I heated sulfur with some other materials (I used a piece of brass, a piece of copper, a post-1982 penny, and a pre-1982 penny). Sadly, the two pennies came out welded together. The pre-1982 penny (all copper) was turned completely into copper sulfide. The post-1982 penny's exterior appears to be copper(I) oxide (perhaps the copper plating was oxidized before it could react with the sulfur?), and the Zinc interior appears unaffected. Unexpectedly, the brass had only a thin layer of a black sulfide (I assume it is Copper sulfide because of the color, but more than likely has significant impurities), but other than that was completely unaffected underneath this thin layer. The piece of copper (same size/thickness as the brass) completely reacted forming copper sulfide. I will try to upload pictures as soon as possible. Does anyone have any other ideas for alloys to try this on?

Thank you,

nlegaux

[Edited on 12-8-2014 by nlegaux]
Bert
Super Administrator
Thread Moved
8-12-2014 at 16:35

Go To Top