Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Peculiar iron assay in Agricola
guy_bourgogne
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 25-2-2006 at 13:18
Peculiar iron assay in Agricola

I found an interesting method of iron assay in Agricola's De Re Metallica:

“Lastly, we assay iron ore in the forge of a blacksmith. Such ore is burned, crushed, washed, and dried; a magnet is laid over the concentrates, and the particles of iron are attracted to it; these are wiped off with a brush, and are caught in a crucible, the magnet being continually passed over the concentrates and the particles wiped off, so long as there remain any particles which the magnet can attract to it. These particles are heated in the crucible with saltpetre until they melt, and an iron button is melted out of them. If the magnet easily and quickly attract the particles to it, we infer that the ores is rich in iron; if slowly, that it is poor; if it appears actually to repel the ore, then it contains little or no iron.”

What is going on in this description? Is it actually a smelt, or is there something else involved? I don't see how saltpeter can be used as a reducing agent.

Guy
Mr. Wizard
International Hazard

[*] posted on 25-2-2006 at 14:36

It doesn't exactly say that the iron ore is reduced in the 'forge of the blacksmith', but maybe it is assumed. If you heat crushed iron ore to a red heat in a charcoal fire, the iron may be reduced to the elemental form without actually melting. The nitrate may act as a flux. If the iron is going to melt it is going to completely decompose the saltpetre.

BTW the translator of this book into English was Herbert Hoover, the President of the US when the "Great Depression" started. Can you picture any recent politician undertaking this sort of task, or even being qualified to do so?
12AX7
Post Harlot

Mood: informative

[*] posted on 25-2-2006 at 14:45

Hoover wasn't so much a president (he was somewhat pushed into that position, and the Depression only added to his ignominy) as he was the chief supreme court justice, which he later served after his presidency. In fact, he swore in the next couple presidents.

Coincidental that translation happened to be one of his interests and reached such interesting books as De Re Metallica :)

For sure, the saltpet(re/er) decomposes at higher heat (and it takes how much heat to melt iron? ;)), so it would just amount to potash. Salt or potash could be used just as well, I imagine, but maybe the nitrate has certain other characteristics, like the extremely basic melt dissolving silicates faster, or something.

It could be that the burning itself reduces the iron to metal, but it would be at least partially oxidized by the saltpeter, so it would have to come from the fire I guess.

Tim

Seven Transistor Labs LLC http://seventransistorlabs.com/
Electronic Design, from Concept to Layout.
Need engineering assistance? Drop me a message!
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
Mr. Wizard
International Hazard

[*] posted on 26-2-2006 at 20:27

"Hoover wasn't so much a president (he was somewhat pushed into that position, and the Depression only added to his ignominy) as he was the chief supreme court justice, which he later served after his presidency. In fact, he swore in the next couple presidents."
I read his bio on:
http://hoover.archives.gov/education/hooverbio.html
Very interesting guy. I'd vote for him today.
Mr. Wizard
International Hazard

[*] posted on 26-4-2006 at 22:02

Here's another link on Hoover, and the translation.
http://www.uh.edu/engines/epi139.htm

http://www.uh.edu/engines/epi136.htm

The whole series , "The Engines of our Ingenuity" is quite interesting, and can located in the Index at the bottom of the link.
JohnWW
International Hazard

[*] posted on 27-4-2006 at 23:58

I thought Herbert Hoover was also a mining engineer. This would explain his interest in the smelting of iron and other metals.

Go To Top