C6H5-NO2 + H2 + Pt/C ==> C6H5-NH2

nitrobenzene is obtained by benzene nitration
C6H6 + HNO3 ==> C6H5-NO2

almost quantitative yield and easy to purify

BromicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Rock n' Roll

[*] posted on 21-3-2006 at 08:11

Please 'General' this is a discussion board, we don't communicate via e-mail here. If you really don't feel like checking back here for replies then maybe you shouldn't even bother. And Studur, General wasn't asking about the best way to make aniline, and I've noticed a lot of people doing this, a person will ask about a particular method to make a chemical and instead of getting a response relevant to the method they get some other method claimed to be better. I concede that the method going from nitrobenzene to aniline is the time tested method, but for all you know General has near unlimited supplies of phenol, or is simply following this procedure for fun by going through a unique/novel method. But really I've been seeing a lot of this lately, the best way is usually never the only way and it's always good to have several feasible methods to a final product then just rely on a single pathway that might become crippled through national sanctions or simple inability to find the precursors recommended.

Shamelessly plugging my attempts at writing fiction: http://www.robvincent.org
jack-sparrow
Hazard to Others

Mood: ahoy!

[*] posted on 21-3-2006 at 09:02

Sorry about that ! May I recommend sneaking into Patai's chemistry of phenols ? You may find something useful there. :(

leu
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 21-3-2006 at 19:12

It's much easier to convert aniline into phenol than the reverse. While it's possible to convert a phenol into aniline by the Merz reaction (Ber 19 2161), it's not nearly as easy as the more favorable method already mentioned. In this approach phenol is reacted with zinc/calcium chloride at 300 degrees Centrigrade, it works best with nitrophenols and the secondary amine forms simultaneously :( The best way to aniline starts with the nitration of benzene, which is also the precursor to phenol through the sulfonic acid ester :cool: Difficult reactions that have low yields aren't very econmically feasible, on the other hand this question could simply be an attempt to avoid doing one's own schoolwork :P

Chemistry is our Covalent Bond

Go To Top