Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Ethyl Oleate
madchem
Harmless

Mood: harmfull AND NOT harmless (its a type-o)

[*] posted on 25-3-2006 at 20:35
Ethyl Oleate

I have a Question about Ethyl Oleate or (oleic acid ethyl ester) (Oleic acid ethyl ester) same same

For those who know Tokyo chemical industry (TCI)

I was looking for EO so i pull out the most recent catalog and they sell oleic acid ethyl ester 95% by GC 97.35 US$ for 25ml

am I mising something, seems like a prettly simple compound to synthesize and TCI usualy has good prices

Anyone could clarify this mistery, I thought it was a type-o but the same price is listed on the web-site

thnxzinadvnc
Mindchemist
Harmless

Mood: Hydrophobic

[*] posted on 30-4-2011 at 18:38

It would most likely form from the esterification of ethanol and oleic acid with a sulfuric acid catalyst, the oleic acid can be prepared from olive oil: http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=15891

Wake up and smell the 2-furfuryl mercaptan.
Paddywhacker
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 30-4-2011 at 21:53

The price is because it is 95% by GLC and reflects how difficult it is to purify one of these fatty acids free from its close homologues.
bbartlog
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-5-2011 at 05:57

And also presumably a lack of economies of scale for this compound at this purity, i.e. it quite possibly had to be synthesized by an actual chemist at a bench and isn't produced by some industrial-scale process.
ScienceSquirrel
International Hazard

Mood: Dogs are pets but cats are little furry humans with four feet and self determination! :(

[*] posted on 1-5-2011 at 12:13

It is one of these things that would be cheaper to make yourself if you wanted it in a large quantity.
Ebao-lu
Unregistered

[*] posted on 3-5-2011 at 05:41

Yes, that is probably due to its purity.
The major component of biodiesel made from rapeseed oil is methyloleate, but there is also methylstearate. Pure methyloleate is more expensive because it is difficult to separate it from methylstearate. If you can find any cheap source of pure (say 95%) oleic acid, or its ester (say triglyceride), then your complains about the high price would be 100% correct.

[Edited on 3-5-2011 by Ebao-lu]

Go To Top