Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Benzene Bromination
misdemeanor
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 29-3-2006 at 11:16
Benzene Bromination

C6 H6+br mol to mol added small amount fe br3 yielded no bromo benzene also c6 h6 + br mol to mol + small amount of fe with appropriate amount of br for in situ fe br3 yielded no bromo benzene. what have i done wrong
chochu3
Hazard to Others

Mood: Inside looking out

[*] posted on 29-3-2006 at 19:24

is your bromine water free. Maybe if your iron does not have enough surface area.

\"Abiding in the midst of ignorance, thinking themselves wise and learned, fools go aimlessly hither and thither, like blind led by the blind.\" - Katha Upanishad
felonious
Harmless

[*] posted on 30-3-2006 at 09:35

bromine was drawn from sodium bromide and calcium hypochloride. i used 4 ot steel wool , not much and clean. benzene is lab grade. the steel wool is consummed. no bromo benzene. any thoughts to my errors?what do you mean is my bromine water free? 1/4mol to1/4mol bromine to benzene. the bromine was distilled from the sodium bromide calcium hypochlorite hcl mixture.should this reaction be done in toluene?

[Edited on 30-3-2006 by felonious]
chochu3
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 5-4-2006 at 00:17

I meant if they did not form two layers polar/nonpolar from water solvating the bromine. It sounds as if it did react; is it clear and does it have a funny halogen smell? Try freezing it down to zero degrees celsius to see if its just benzene.

\"Abiding in the midst of ignorance, thinking themselves wise and learned, fools go aimlessly hither and thither, like blind led by the blind.\" - Katha Upanishad
misdemeanor
Harmless

[*] posted on 5-4-2006 at 11:19

MY BROMINE WORKED WELL ON TOLUENE NOT BENZENE THOUGH I USED CATALYST HEAT ETC... BOOK SAYS IT WORKS. SAW A VIDEO THAT WAS VAGUE YET IT WAS CLEAR THE REACTION WORKED. ANY HELP APPRECIATED.
leu
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 5-4-2006 at 18:25

Gatterman states this reaction must be agitated, perhaps that's why it didn't work :P Bromine can be purified by dehydration by shaking with an equal amount of concentrated sulfuric acid, then distilled :cool:

[Edited on 6-4-2006 by leu]

[Edited on 6-4-2006 by leu]

Chemistry is our Covalent Bond
chochu3
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 10-4-2006 at 22:04

toluene forms an azetrope with water, so it could be the problem.

bfesser
Resident Wikipedian
Thread Moved
20-7-2013 at 19:59

Go To Top