Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Nitro paper and laser printers
Little_Ghost_again
National Hazard

Mood: Baffled

[*] posted on 18-12-2014 at 14:26
Nitro paper and laser printers

Hi
this might sound a bit odd, I was wondering if you could use nitrocellulose paper in a laser printer or would it burn?

Dont ask me, I only know enough to be dangerous
Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

[*] posted on 18-12-2014 at 14:50

The heated element that fuses the ink onto the paper may run at temperatures up to around 200 C. Nitrocellulose has an auto ignition temperature around 170 C.- Might not want to go there!

The LASER is not directed at the paper, but at an electrostatic charged drum that picks up & transfers the ink powder.

Perhaps use a wet ink jet?

Rapopart’s Rules for critical commentary:

1. Attempt to re-express your target’s position so clearly, vividly and fairly that your target says: “Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.”
2. List any points of agreement (especially if they are not matters of general or widespread agreement).
3. Mention anything you have learned from your target.
4. Only then are you permitted to say so much as a word of rebuttal or criticism.

Anatol Rapoport was a Russian-born American mathematical psychologist (1911-2007).

zed
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-repentant Sith Lord

[*] posted on 18-12-2014 at 16:21

And, as you must know, Nitrocellulose.....once ignited, usually refuses to be extinguished.

I see before me, an entire laser printer, burning wildly. Not that that is a bad thing. Provided you bought the printer for 5 bucks at a garage sale. But, perhaps this is an experiment, best conducted out of doors. Like, out in the desert; at your local "Burning Man" festival.

phlogiston
International Hazard

Mood: pyrophoric

[*] posted on 19-12-2014 at 01:40

You could try running a small piece through a cheap laminator first. they typically work at roughly the same temperature (your mileage may vary). If that works, it -<b>might</b>- survive a laser printer.

If you want an image on nitrocellulose paper, perhaps silk-screening will work.

-----
"If a rocket goes up, who cares where it comes down, that's not my concern said Wernher von Braun" - Tom Lehrer
wish i had a kraken!!!
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 19-12-2014 at 06:29

ARE U GOING TO MAKE AN EXPLODABLE BOOK? :o
Metacelsus
International Hazard

Mood: Double, double, toil and trouble

[*] posted on 19-12-2014 at 07:40

"To increase security, one-time pads were sometimes printed onto sheets of highly flammable nitrocellulose, so that they could be quickly burned after use." -- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One-time_pad

Printing on nitrocellulose does exist, but I imagine that it doesn't use high temperatures.

[Edited on 19-12-2014 by Cheddite Cheese]

As below, so above.

My blog: https://denovo.substack.com
Little_Ghost_again
National Hazard

[*] posted on 19-12-2014 at 07:53

Thanks guys, looks like the ink jet is a better way then. I want it for a sort of silly magic show kind of thing, now you see it.............now you dont. Its a kind of school based project thats all.

Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

[*] posted on 19-12-2014 at 10:14

Something like this?

http://m.ebay.com/itm/121518925627

Rapopart’s Rules for critical commentary:

1. Attempt to re-express your target’s position so clearly, vividly and fairly that your target says: “Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.”
2. List any points of agreement (especially if they are not matters of general or widespread agreement).
3. Mention anything you have learned from your target.
4. Only then are you permitted to say so much as a word of rebuttal or criticism.

Anatol Rapoport was a Russian-born American mathematical psychologist (1911-2007).

wish i had a kraken!!!
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 19-12-2014 at 13:41

Quote: Originally posted by Little_Ghost_again  
Thanks guys, looks like the ink jet is a better way then. I want it for a sort of silly magic show kind of thing, now you see it.............now you dont. Its a kind of school based project thats all.

Could u plz make video/s of your experiment for us?

[Edited on 19-12-2014 by wish i had a kraken!!!]
Little_Ghost_again
National Hazard

[*] posted on 19-12-2014 at 22:51

Having looked at some vids on making it I decided it wasnt worth it yet. Besides I have something extra special to make now :D.
I rarely go to school and mainly have a tutor that comes here to my house, but in feb I am going in for a science lesson. We have something called general science at my school as well as the split subjects, they have been doing stuff on force etc.
In febuary at the end of this segment of the course they are going to build CO2 rocket propelled cars etc and race them over a short distance, the cars are all likely to be pop bottle type things and the size of a RC car.
However there is nothing in the rules that says I cant use another propellent :D:D, so I am wondering about a hybrid rocket car :D, depends if I can generate enough oxygen quickly enough. Sure would be fun seeing my teachers face lol

Zyklon-A
International Hazard

Mood: Fluorine radical

[*] posted on 19-12-2014 at 23:00

Why not print on regular paper, and nitrate it afterwards?
Would the ink get destroyed by the acids?
There's at least one way to find out.
Little_Ghost_again
National Hazard

[*] posted on 20-12-2014 at 06:43

Quote: Originally posted by Zyklon-A  
Why not print on regular paper, and nitrate it afterwards?
Would the ink get destroyed by the acids?
There's at least one way to find out.

Thinking about it if I used a laser printer then the 'ink' is actually a plastic so should survive the acid. I use laser printers to do my pcb's and the plastic coating takes hot etch ants fine. But to be honest its a waste of acid what I wanted to do.

Go To Top