Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Purification of Benzoic Acid
joeflsts
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 4-4-2006 at 18:18
Purification of Benzoic Acid

I'm relatively new to chemistry and would like some input. I'm hopeful that this isn't too basic a question. I just completed the synthesis of Benzoic Acid from toluene, water and Potassium Permanganate and crystalized the Benzoic acid from the final solution (after lots of filtering to remove MnO2).

I used HCl to acidify the Benzoic Acid solution. This caused immediate percipitation but I've noticed after drying that a strong HCl odor is present. My understanding is that Benzoic Acid should have a pleasant odor. This isn't exactly pleasant.. unless you compare it to a nose full of pepper. Actually it isn't all that bad....

Is there a way to further purify the Benzoic Acid? I know that it is slightly soluable in water and quite soluable in acetone so I'm thinking of creating the acetone / benzoic acid solution then allowing the Acetone to evaporate. Would this remove the excess Hydrochloric Acid? From my research it doesn't appear that an accidental by-product would be acetone peroxide. I'm quite interested in keeping the digits.

Thank you,
Joe
The_Davster
A pnictogen

Mood: .

[*] posted on 4-4-2006 at 18:24

To get rid of the HCl just let the crystals sit in a warm area for a week or so.
Hexane (Camp fuel?) works wonders for recrystalizing benzoic acid, nice crystalls often inches long form.

BromicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Rock n' Roll

[*] posted on 4-4-2006 at 18:32

I recently converted a large amount of sodium benzoate to benzoic acid. The process is very simple and if you have some extra NaOH on hand you can duplicate it to purify your benozic acid. You'd dissolve it in a NaOH solution, and filter, watching out for organics floating on top that you would have a pipette off. Then after filtering add HCl to precipitate and wash with corpious amounts of water. My benozic acid had the slightest of smells, the flighty powder burned my nostrils though on the inside badly, be wary, it hurts the throat too.

[Edited on 4/5/2006 by BromicAcid]

Shamelessly plugging my attempts at writing fiction: http://www.robvincent.org
joeflsts
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 4-4-2006 at 18:34

Thank you!

Joe
Positon
Harmless

[*] posted on 6-9-2006 at 12:51

Interressant thing about benzoic acid is that you can find this product in soft drink .
Swany
Hazard to Others

Mood: Sanguine

[*] posted on 6-9-2006 at 16:27

Yeah, negligible amounts as a preservative. Another interesting thing is somehow it reacted with whatever in there to create benzene, in tiny tiny amounts, like PPB amounts. Naturally, they went postal.... It was all over the news, and I was depressed.

But yes, I would second the basification/acidification, and then recrystallization.

Go To Top