Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Drying Methyl Trichloride
Viper3k
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-4-2006 at 04:17
Drying Methyl Trichloride

For the purpose of isolating caffeine, i have made some Methyl Trichloride (Chloroform) from the Calcium Hypochlorite/Acetone method. I then distilled the Methyl Trichloride from the mix of biproducts and obtained what i assume is Methyl Trichloride with a layer of water ontop. Now i can just use a syringe to draw off the water layer, for the most part. But how would i go about removing the remaining traces of water?

I have done some research and found this site: http://orgchem.colorado.edu/hndbksupport/drying/drying.html

Would i be correct in saying i could use magnesium sulfate (epsom salts) to remove the traces of water? Would there be any adverse reactions with the Methyl Trichloride and magnesium sulfate? Is this method advisable or would there be a better method? Also, in regards to evaporation rate, what kind of loss could i expect from processing to remove the water? Also note i have no lab equipment or difficult-to-obtain chemicals, so everything is improvised.

Any help would be appreciated.
stoichiometric_steve
National Hazard

Mood: satyric

[*] posted on 6-4-2006 at 04:42

the drying of organic solvents is exhaustively described elsewhere. i'm not trying to be rude, but this is basic knowledge, and you're far better off educating yourself on this topic and in your case, the toxicological profile of chloroform before you attempt to use it AT ALL.
Viper3k
Harmless

[*] posted on 6-4-2006 at 04:48

I'm just asking for some confirmation about a drying method that seems applicable. I just dont want to screw up ~8 hours of work.
Also, because i have 2 posts doesnt mean i'm ignorant to safety precautions.

[Edited on 6-4-2006 by Viper3k]
stoichiometric_steve
National Hazard

Mood: satyric

[*] posted on 6-4-2006 at 07:29

MgSO4 is ok for CHCl3. and there is always google
Douchermann
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 6-4-2006 at 09:43

Doesn't the trichloromethane thread have info on drying this? It should have a couple posts in one of the four pages.

It\'s better to be pissed off than to be pissed on.

Go To Top