Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Removing Iodine & Acetyl chloride
makfc
Harmless

Mood: Ha....ha....ha.....!!

mad.gif posted on 21-4-2006 at 06:13
Removing Iodine & Acetyl chloride

I done an acetylation reaction of 3-hydroxy benzldehyde very well using acetyl chloride as acetylating agent and iodine was used as a powerful catalyst in this solvent-free reaction.

But after the reaction completion, in work-up, what should I do to remove both these reagents ? I read that Sodium thiosulfate can be used for iodine but also read that it may also react with my aldehyde.

Pls suggest something............

makfc

[Edited on 21-4-2006 by makfc]
kclo4
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 21-4-2006 at 13:00

would distilltion work?
i know nothing of 3-hydroxy benzldehyde, what are you using it for?

makfc
Harmless

[*] posted on 21-4-2006 at 20:20

i don't get the simple distillation as a solution for this......

i have to find out something more as I'm developing this on plant scale.

by the way, i'm synthesizing m-acetoxybenzaldhyde from the hydroxyaldehyde to use it as a fine chemical for a company.
The_Davster
A pnictogen

Mood: .

[*] posted on 21-4-2006 at 21:13

Well water will destroy acetyl chloride leaving you with a pretty acidic solution. This could end up hydrolysing the ester. Perhaps crashing the reaction mix into an aqueous solution of a weak base perhaps bicarbonate, pyridine or another amine would work.

Is this stuff a solid or a liquid? I'm guessing a solid. Filtration after crashing into the weak base would leave you with the m-acetoxybenzaldhyde with slight iodine contamination, the water will have dissolved some of the iodine. A recrystalization could then be done on the m-acetylbenzaldehyde with a good non polar solvent, perhaps hexane? Most of the iodine should be gone now. Keeping the m-acetylbenzaldhyde at 100C or so for a while afterwards should sublimate any remaining iodine.

trilobite
Hazard to Others

Mood: lonely

[*] posted on 23-4-2006 at 13:36

I don't know about the method, so in case you are using a large excess of acetyl chloride, recover most of it off first by distillation. Then simply dilute with water/ice, add a little thiosulfate or bisulfate to get rid of the iodine, extract with a suitable solvent, wash the extract with dilute NaOH (removes phenolics also), dry the solvent and evaporate.

I don't think acidic or basic hydrolysis is going to give you any trouble. Any starting material will end up in the NaOH washes. If you really want to recover them do a few NaHCO3 washes before the NaOH wash to remove the acetic acid.

[Edited on 23-4-2006 by trilobite]
makfc
Harmless

sad.gif posted on 25-4-2006 at 05:51

Acetyl chloride is removed !

But still I'm there for iodine. Thiosulfate reacts with my acetoxybenzaldehyde making a decomposition like solid product. (My acetoxybenzaldehyde is LIQUID).

So I have to find something more for this............

Go To Top