Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Boiling points of metals!
lahthffire
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-5-2006 at 14:18
Boiling points of metals!

I have two questions:

1. Do metal alloys demonstrate boiling point elevation the way solvents with a solute in them do? And if so, would it be calculated in a similar manner?

2. How does pressure affect the boiling point of a metal? I see boiling points listed for metals, but they never state at what pressure they were taken.

Any information anybody has regarding boiling points of metals would be greatly appreciated. Also, if anybody knows of any books or other literature on this topic, please speak up! I would love to buy a book on this topic.
kazaa81
Hazard to Others

Mood: ok

[*] posted on 1-5-2006 at 14:24

Search for CRC Handbook of Chemistry and Physics...it contains much tables that can full your answers.

Hope to have helped
lahthffire
Harmless

[*] posted on 1-5-2006 at 15:00

Also, does anybody know where I can find pressure/temperature/density relationships for silver vapor? I'll check the CRC, but won't be surprised if I don't find it there.
12AX7
Post Harlot

Mood: informative

[*] posted on 1-5-2006 at 19:22

Probably does. Zinc boils at 1600°F or so but I've poured non-boiling brass at 2200°F.

(No, I won't covert those. My "foundry" works in Fahrenheit and I like it that way! :D )

Tim

Seven Transistor Labs LLC http://seventransistorlabs.com/
Electronic Design, from Concept to Layout.
Need engineering assistance? Drop me a message!
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
leu
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 2-5-2006 at 03:24

You may find some thing useful in Mellor's :D

Chemistry is our Covalent Bond
unionised
International Hazard

[*] posted on 4-5-2006 at 11:13

"How does pressure affect the boiling point of a metal? I see boiling points listed for metals, but they never state at what pressure they were taken."
Much the same way as it affects the boiling point of other things- higher temperature at higher pressure- roughly logarithmicaly.
As with most things, if the pressure isn't stated for a boiling point it's assumed to be 1 atmosphere.
In general there's nothing magical about metals so they should behave much the same way as other things e.g. with a bit of luck Raoult's law will give the vapour pressure.

Go To Top