Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Volatile vanadium compound
The_Davster
A pnictogen

Mood: .

[*] posted on 6-5-2006 at 19:52
Volatile vanadium compound

Several months ago when I got my V2O5, I did a few experiments with it. One consisted of adding a small ammount of V2O5 to some concentrated nitric. From what I had read it would not react, and at the time it seemed like it did not. For some reason I set the testtube to the side with this in it and left it for several months and forgot about it. I came across it today and crystals had grown on the mouth of the testtube. Anyone have any thoughts on what these could be? I was thinking something like vanadyl nitrate, but I have been unable to find data on such a chemical.

[Edited on 7-5-2006 by rogue chemist]

[Edited on 7-5-2006 by rogue chemist]

P5060086.JPG - 22kB

chemoleo
Biochemicus Energeticus

Mood: crystalline

[*] posted on 6-5-2006 at 20:24

How about the HNO3 slowly evaporated and reacted with volatile base in the air, which most likely is NH3, this being in a lab?? I often find precisely this on bottles containing strong volatile acids...

Never Stop to Begin, and Never Begin to Stop...
Tolerance is good. But not with the intolerant! (Wilhelm Busch)
12AX7
Post Harlot

Mood: informative

[*] posted on 6-5-2006 at 21:03

But is it dry enough for ammonium nitrate *crystals*?

Neet lookin'...

If it were a vanadium compound, it would be colored though, no?

Tim

[Edited on 5-7-2006 by 12AX7]

Seven Transistor Labs LLC http://seventransistorlabs.com/
Electronic Design, from Concept to Layout.
Need engineering assistance? Drop me a message!
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
The_Davster
A pnictogen

Mood: .

[*] posted on 6-5-2006 at 21:20

On hydrochloric acid bottles I always find a whitish coating on them, as well as on everything if I ever leave any out. Never for nitric before though, or perhaps I never left enough out before as it is precious... It has also always been a powder with HCl, never crystals.
I don't think there is much ammonia in the air, I have been out of the concentrated stuff for almost a year now, it is not high on my priority list, and I don't even have a bottle of household ammonia around. And I cannot think of any volatile bases other than a very small ammount of hexamine, and that is in a bottle under the counter, this tube was left on top of the counter.
There has been a reaction between the nitric and V2O5 as the solution above the V2O5 is light blue. Unless I spilled something in there or something, but that is not likely.

unionised
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 7-5-2006 at 00:33

There is generally some ammonia in the air from natural sources, even if you are not near a lab.
I can't easily imagine it's a vanadium compound. But, if you were to mix it with some nitric acid and heat it to, say, dull red heat, you ought to convert any V to the oxide which would be involatile.
ordenblitz
Hazard to Others

Mood: Bohr'd

[*] posted on 7-5-2006 at 08:11

I see this exact thing on my nitric acid bottles if they sit in the acid cabinet, untouched for a few weeks. I always wondered why this happened, but never bothered to collect the crystals and analyze them.
I do keep aqua ammonia near by in an adjacent cabinet.
DeAdFX
Hazard to Others

Mood: @%&$ing hardcore baby

[*] posted on 7-5-2006 at 09:17

My bottle of nitric acid does not show any sorts of crystals... It is stored in a 500mL flask with a glass stopper. I have had the acid for atleast a year now. The only base I have stored near by is ~2lbs of hexamine.
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 8-5-2006 at 04:05

I'm quite sure these crystals contain ammonium ions. I know this phenomenon very well from nitric acid and hydrochloric acid. Try to collect all these crystals in a small test tube or in a plastic little spoon and add a few granules of solid wetted NaOH to them and then smell them. I once did with similar crystals and I obtained the smell of NH3, unmistakenly. SO, I expect your crystals to be NH4NO3.

The V2O5 is slightly soluble in aqueous solutions and it also is not the most stable in solution. I can perfectly imagine that reduction, due to dust, organic matter from the air, causes the shift to blue vanadyl (IV). The vanadyl ion VO(2+) is deep and very bright blue.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net

Go To Top