Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 8-5-2006 at 01:02
why gold is yellow?

why gold is yellow.Do you know why?
solo
International Hazard

Mood: ....getting old and drowning in a sea of knowledge

[*] posted on 8-5-2006 at 05:08

A fast google search indicates that gold a mineral , and a metal has a gold color because that's how it occurs in nature...............as to why? maybe because that's the color of the mineral the nature gave gold once it cools and flows to make the veins mostly found in quartz and as erosion occurs finds itself in rivers , settled in the bottom because of its density...........solo

It's better to die on your feet, than live on your knees....Emiliano Zapata.
kazaa81
Hazard to Others

Mood: ok

[*] posted on 8-5-2006 at 05:12

I think that the answer to this question is like many others:

Gold reflects/absorb some light frequencies that gave it the gold color...it's like benzene, who has no color, but its halo-compounds (chloro-,bromo-benzene) are colored, this shows that maybe benzene has is own color, just that cannot be seen.
12AX7
Post Harlot

Mood: informative

[*] posted on 8-5-2006 at 11:01

Something about "plasma frequency" mumbled on Jim Calvert's site.

http://www.du.edu/~jcalvert/phys/copper.htm

Quote:
Copper is often described as a "red" metal, though its actual color is an orange-red of lower intensity, not a bright signal red. It is not a spectral color by any means, but a particular impure one requiring its own name, such as "copper-red." The red color is produced by the density of electrons being insufficient to cause a high plasma frequency, so the shorter wavelengths are not reflected as efficiently as the longer, redder ones. The red color is unique to copper and its alloys.

Huh, that doesn't really make sense.. copper has a mess of electrons, doesn't it?

Stuff like this turns up on Google:
http://scienceworld.wolfram.com/physics/PlasmaFrequency.html

Maybe has to do with the relatively low number of electrons given up per metallic ion?

Tim

Seven Transistor Labs LLC http://seventransistorlabs.com/
Electronic Design, from Concept to Layout.
Need engineering assistance? Drop me a message!
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
BromicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Rock n' Roll

[*] posted on 8-5-2006 at 14:29

Gold, like copper has 1 electron in its s orbital and a full d orbital. The difference in energy between the s and d orbitals in this case is sufficently low so that electrons from the d orbital can be excited (via visible light) and jump into the s orbital. It is this absorption of light to jump the electron that gives the metals their colors.

And from here the absorption is determined by the energy required to jump that electron and is calculated as:

(lambda) = hc/E

[Edited on 5/8/2006 by BromicAcid]

Shamelessly plugging my attempts at writing fiction: http://www.robvincent.org
12AX7
Post Harlot

[*] posted on 8-5-2006 at 14:54

No, I don't see that working. If the orbitals are "very close", it would be in the IR band or less (fractional eV energy). Going to a different shell altogether might make the 1.5-3eV visible absorbtion, but that doesn't happen the same in metals as bare atoms. If it were spectral, there should be orange and green and blue metals too, but there aren't.

Tim

View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
guy
National Hazard

Mood: Catalytic!

[*] posted on 8-5-2006 at 14:54

Gold has a large nucleus and as electrons travel around a large nucleus, it reaches speed near the speed of light. The reletavistic effects makes the electron act heavier and thus it moves closer to the nucleus. This changes lowers the energy barrier between d and s orbitals so it is easier for the electrons to move around.

12AX7
Post Harlot

[*] posted on 8-5-2006 at 15:03

guy, classical mechanics don't apply to atoms. If the electrons were orbiting, they would be accelerated, and an accelerated electron releases energy (synchrotron radiation, more or less). This works for very large n, but closer to the ground state, Schrodinger takes over.

BTW, gold's nuclear size has no bearing whatsoever on chemistry (that is, the electronic behavior). Electron cloud radius is around three orders of magnitude bigger than the nucleus. The particulars of charge have much more bearing: compare tungsten (4+ or 6+) at 60pm to carbide's 260 pm, four times larger despite being carbon being 15 times lighter.

Tim

guy
National Hazard

[*] posted on 8-5-2006 at 15:11

Then maybe I read this site wrong? http://www.madsci.org/posts/archives/may97/862179191.Ch.r.ht...

I know that electrons don't actually orbit around the nucleus, becuase they would have to constantly be accelerating. So I'm confused.

[Edited on 5/8/2006 by guy]

BromicAcid
International Hazard

[*] posted on 8-5-2006 at 15:11

12AX7, your inability to accept my ranting as fact has forced me to look it up:

From Descriptive Inorganic Chemistry 3rd Ed. Geoff Rayner-Canham and Tina Overton; 2003
Quote:
Copper and gold are two common yellow metals, although a thin coating of copper (I) oxide, Cu<sub>2</sub>O, often makes copper look reddish. The color of copper is caused by the filled d-band in the metal being only about 220 kJ<sub>*</sub>mol<sup>-1</sup> lower in energy then the s-p band. As a result, electrons can be excited to the higher band by photons of the corresponding energy range - the blue and green regions of the spectrum. Hence, copper reflects yellow and red. The band separation in silver is greater, and the absorption is in the ultraviolet part of the spectrum. Relativistic effects lower the s-p band energy in the case of gold, again bringing the absorption into the blue part of the visible range, resulting in the characteristic yellow color.

Twospoons
International Hazard

Mood: A trace of hope...

[*] posted on 8-5-2006 at 19:54

Quote:
Originally posted by 12AX7
If it were spectral, there should be orange and green and blue metals too, but there aren't.

Tim

No, as any photon with energy exceeding the energy gap can cause the electron jump. To get a blue metal would require absorption of red and green wavelengths, but not blue - clearly this cannot happen, as "blue" photons are more energetic than red and green and would be absorbed too.

So for gold (=yellow) only blue is absorbed, for copper both blue and green get absorbed.

Helicopter: "helico" -> spiral, "pter" -> with wings
12AX7
Post Harlot

[*] posted on 8-5-2006 at 20:04

(Argh, why do people have to use kJ/mol, it's so utterly useless for atomic stuff!! :mad: )

Come to think of it, I never was told what the energy difference is between a full d band and the filled s shell (which makes Cu, Cr, Gd, etc. have that unusual arrangement). If that change does happen to correspond to visible light, then that could do it.

It doesn't explain why copper, gold and other elements with similar arrangement don't have a spectral color though (come to think of it, does someone have a (metallic form) absorbance spectrum handy?).

Tim

turd
National Hazard

[*] posted on 8-5-2006 at 22:21

Quote:
No, as any photon with energy exceeding the energy gap can cause the electron jump. To get a blue metal would require absorption of red and green wavelengths, but not blue - clearly this cannot happen, as "blue" photons are more energetic than red and green and would be absorbed too.

Actually gold clusters can be blue.
BromicAcid and guy gave the correct answer: if it wasn't for relativistic effects, gold would be silver. Meh.
12AX7
Post Harlot

[*] posted on 8-5-2006 at 22:27

Yeah, but that's either a colloidial (red or blue) or quantum effect. I seem to recall they are engineering semiconductor particles for fluorescence in specific waveforms or something to that effect.

Tim

woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 8-5-2006 at 22:47

Quote:
Originally posted by BromicAcid
12AX7, your inability to accept my ranting as fact has forced me to look it up:

From Descriptive Inorganic Chemistry 3rd Ed. Geoff Rayner-Canham and Tina Overton; 2003
Quote:
Copper and gold are two common yellow metals, although a thin coating of copper (I) oxide, Cu<sub>2</sub>O, often makes copper look reddish. The color of copper is caused by the filled d-band in the metal being only about 220 kJ<sub>*</sub>mol<sup>-1</sup> lower in energy then the s-p band. As a result, electrons can be excited to the higher band by photons of the corresponding energy range - the blue and green regions of the spectrum. Hence, copper reflects yellow and red. The band separation in silver is greater, and the absorption is in the ultraviolet part of the spectrum. Relativistic effects lower the s-p band energy in the case of gold, again bringing the absorption into the blue part of the visible range, resulting in the characteristic yellow color.

That one I can hardly believe. I surely can believe all things about the electrons, the s-p band and so on, but that copper is yellow seems very strange to me.

I have put copper in oxidizing complexing media quite often, I have done lots of experiment with the metal, but I never observed a yellow color.

If copper really were yellow, then either in a strongly reducing liquid, when some pure copper is put in such a liquid, it should appear yellow (any Cu2O converted to copper), or in a mildly oxidizing acidic environment, it should look the same (any Cu2O converted to soluble copper (II) species, leaving unoxidized clean copper behind). In both conditions, however, the copper simply remains reddish and shiny. Of course, I may be wrong, but then I would really like to see a mechanism for how this supposed yellow color of copper can be shown.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
DrP
National Hazard

Mood: exothermic

[*] posted on 9-5-2006 at 00:41

"but that copper is yellow seems very strange to me."

It doesn't say copper is yellow, it says gold is yellow and copper reflects yellow AND red - giving a copper colour. :)
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 9-5-2006 at 01:12

Quote:
Copper and gold are two common yellow metals, although a thin coating of copper (I) oxide, Cu2O, often makes copper look reddish.

DrP, if I read this, then I can only conclude that this tells me that copper is yellow. A compound, which reflects both yellow light and red light I would not call "yellow". It probably has some orange/red appearance and the color at which it appears to me is the color I would name it.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
DrP
National Hazard

Mood: exothermic

[*] posted on 9-5-2006 at 01:44

Hmm, yea, I see your point - I wouldn't call copper yellow either (because it's not).

I tend to agree with the whole absorbing and re-emiting of the e's to give the colour though. Perhaps it's the description of the copper colour that is a bit skewed - yellow/red. As you said, I too would have called it orangey red or just copper.
turd
National Hazard

[*] posted on 9-5-2006 at 09:22

Quote:
Originally posted by 12AX7
Yeah, but that's either a colloidial (red or blue) or quantum effect.

It's an electronic effect. The same effect that gives bulk gold its characteristic color. It has nothing to do with light scattering (which is a quantum effect too).
vulture
Forum Gatekeeper

[*] posted on 9-5-2006 at 12:32

Quote:

BTW, gold's nuclear size has no bearing whatsoever on chemistry (that is, the electronic behavior).

Yes it does. The core electrons of heavy nuclei are subject to relativistic effects because of their high speeds.

Anyway, this gold effect is observed with conducting polymers too, but only when they're partially oxidized. I vaguely remember something about surface plasmons (NOT PLASMA).

One shouldn't accept or resort to the mutilation of science to appease the mentally impaired.
unionised
International Hazard

[*] posted on 9-5-2006 at 12:36

"Gold reflects/absorb some light frequencies that gave it the gold color...it's like benzene, who has no color, but its halo-compounds (chloro-,bromo-benzene) are colored, this shows that maybe benzene has is own color, just that cannot be seen. "
This would be a remarkable insight if clorobenzene or bromobenzene were coloured. Unfortunately, they aren't.
12AX7
Post Harlot

[*] posted on 9-5-2006 at 12:44

Quote:
Originally posted by vulture
Quote:

BTW, gold's nuclear size has no bearing whatsoever on chemistry (that is, the electronic behavior).

Yes it does. The core electrons of heavy nuclei are subject to relativistic effects because of their high speeds.

Nuclear charge yes (those inner electrons are bound to the tune of 80keV+ according to (roughly) 13.6eV * Z^2/n^2), but not size.

Tim

guy
National Hazard

[*] posted on 9-5-2006 at 13:39

Quote:

Nuclear charge yes (those inner electrons are bound to the tune of 80keV+ according to (roughly) 13.6eV * Z^2/n^2), but not size.

Nuclear charge affects all atomic radii, but in atoms with large a large nucleus, it causes the electrons to behave differently because ofreletavistic effects, and that pulls the s orbital even closer.

12AX7
Post Harlot

[*] posted on 9-5-2006 at 14:40

Hence "roughly". As I recall, the 13.6eV * Z^2/n^2 isn't derived with relativity in mind (although I seem to remember hearing Scrhodinger's equation is inherently relativistic? I might be confusing something there).

Tim

BromicAcid
International Hazard

[*] posted on 9-5-2006 at 15:09

Speaking of colloidal gold. We did a q-dots lab in my pChem class some time back. We made black, blue, and red gold solutions. This was due to the size of the gold clusters being comparable to the wavelength of the photons or something of that nature. It was very interesting to say the least. I thought that some metals were blue or at least bluish. I know I remember a few described in this way such a cobalt and such, but I have to wonder if this is the description of the pure metal or just the usual cast that is a result of its creation.

Pages:  1  

Go To Top