Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: will DMSO react with HNO3
sanketh
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 19-5-2006 at 22:06
will DMSO react with HNO3

guys im tryin to remove excess sodium borohydride from a sloution containin DMSO also.....and am plannin to remove it by reaction with nitric acid.....so im wonderin if the DMSO will also react with the HNO3...plz help.....
Swany
Hazard to Others

Mood: Sanguine

[*] posted on 19-5-2006 at 22:32

" Stable. Incompatible with a very wide range of materials, including acid chlorides, strong acids, strong oxidizing agents, strong reducing agents, phosphorus halides, moisture, copper wool + trichloroacetic acid. Reacts violently with a number of materials - consult a full data sheet before use. Hygroscopic."

From http://ptcl.chem.ox.ac.uk/MSDS/ME/methyl_sulfoxide.html.

BromicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Rock n' Roll

[*] posted on 20-5-2006 at 06:33

The technical bulletin 105 has a table listing the decomposition of DMSO over time while being heated at 100C with phosphoric (85%), hydrochloric (12 M), and sulfruic acids (18 M). After 120 minutes with sulfuric only 2% of the DMSO had decomposed, after 120 min with the phosphoric 13% of the DMSO had decomposed and after 120 min with the HCl 2% had decomposed. But the problem with the nitric lies in its oxidizing ability, strong oxidizing agents give dimethyl sulfone (CH<sub>3</sub>SO<sub>2</sub>CH<sub>3</sub>;) and with nitric there could be other potential side reactions. I don't think it would do much somewhat dilluted right away but the conversion to the sulfone is rapid and lots of heat comes off it when NaOCl is added to DMSO so there could be a appreciably rapid reaction with HNO<sub>3</sub>. Why not just use a different acid.

Shamelessly plugging my attempts at writing fiction: http://www.robvincent.org
unionised
International Hazard

[*] posted on 20-5-2006 at 06:42

Why not use a less aggresive acid like water?
Is DMSO stable in the presence of borohydride anyway, or is it reduced to the sulphide?
BromicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Rock n' Roll

[*] posted on 20-5-2006 at 06:48

I've personally heard of borohydride reductions being done in DMSO although I don't know of the conditions. As for using water, it's pretty slow in destroying borohydride.

Shamelessly plugging my attempts at writing fiction: http://www.robvincent.org
unionised
International Hazard

[*] posted on 21-5-2006 at 03:53

Well, one thing's for certain. If the DMSO got reduced to the sulphide and/ or mercapatan, you would know about it. I know water's slow; it's also cheap and non toxic.

Go To Top