Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: LAH from LiH and AlCl3
nickec
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 28-12-2014 at 10:16
LAH from LiH and AlCl3

"LAH was first prepared from the reaction between lithium hydride (LiH) and aluminium chloride:[2][3]

4 LiH + AlCl3 → LiAlH4 + 3 LiCl"

For the purposes of another experiment I need a very small quantity of Lithium Aluminum Hydride. After reading the above quote on Wikipedia I began to wonder if I could make some since the budget is tight.

Could a beginner reasonably do this?
bismuthate
National Hazard

Mood: self reacting

[*] posted on 28-12-2014 at 11:34

You could do that reaction without too much trouble, but making LiH and AlCl3 would be very difficult.

I'm not a liar, I'm just an enthusiastic celebrant of opposite day.
I post pictures of chemistry on instagram as bismuthate. http://iconosquare.com/bismuthate
or this viewer if you don't have an instagram (it sucks though) http://web.stagram.com/n/bismuthate
dermolotov
Hazard to Others

Mood: Free

[*] posted on 28-12-2014 at 12:48

Quote: Originally posted by bismuthate  
You could do that reaction without too much trouble, but making LiH and AlCl3 would be very difficult.

Lithium Aluminium Hydrate is also ridiculously difficult to work with. Hydrophoric if I can remember...

have you looked into just getting the borohydride reducing agent? Or seeing if you can just use calcium metal??
Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

[*] posted on 28-12-2014 at 13:12

Perhaps detailing your "other experiment" would lead to suggestions on a safer and easier alternative.

Rapopart’s Rules for critical commentary:

1. Attempt to re-express your target’s position so clearly, vividly and fairly that your target says: “Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.”
2. List any points of agreement (especially if they are not matters of general or widespread agreement).
3. Mention anything you have learned from your target.
4. Only then are you permitted to say so much as a word of rebuttal or criticism.

Anatol Rapoport was a Russian-born American mathematical psychologist (1911-2007).

nickec
Harmless

[*] posted on 28-12-2014 at 13:44

Quote: Originally posted by Bert  
Perhaps detailing your "other experiment" would lead to suggestions on a safer and easier alternative.

Thank you.

This researcher: A. Parkhomov

wrote this paper: Thermogenerator Study

Because of debates re his preliminary results I wish to do a similar experiment.

My reference for safety issues includes: Prudent Practices in the Lab

I appreciate any and all help.

nc
nickec
Harmless

[*] posted on 28-12-2014 at 13:46

Quote: Originally posted by bismuthate  

Thanks Bismuthate.
nickec
Harmless

[*] posted on 28-12-2014 at 13:48

Quote: Originally posted by dermolotov  
Lithium Aluminium Hydrate is also ridiculously difficult to work with. Hydrophoric if I can remember...

have you looked into just getting the borohydride reducing agent? Or seeing if you can just use calcium metal??

If only another reducing agent would work. Unlikely.

Perhaps after I replicate the original experiment, I can investigate whether borohydride can serve.

Thanks Dermolotov.
nickec
Harmless

[*] posted on 28-12-2014 at 13:55

In a nutshell I will place "pure" nickel powder and lithal inside a sealed reactor, just a hard bronze brazed stainless steel pipe cap and plug, heat it and allow it to cool. As a control I will heat the same vessel with no powder inside first.

Careful data gathering of the temperature and analysis of the trends is the goal.

Limited funds mean I must compromise on equipment and material. This is a first pass at procedures.

I seek to simplify the experiment. Instead of using electricity to heat the reactor I plan to use a torch.

This is a dangerous experiment and great care is advised.
Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

[*] posted on 28-12-2014 at 14:11

Perhaps a collated & edited post of all your information sources and proposed experimental procedure could be used to start a thread in technochemistry?

Most people looking for LiAH in "beginnings" have a very different purpose in mind.

1. Attempt to re-express your target’s position so clearly, vividly and fairly that your target says: “Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.”
2. List any points of agreement (especially if they are not matters of general or widespread agreement).
4. Only then are you permitted to say so much as a word of rebuttal or criticism.

Anatol Rapoport was a Russian-born American mathematical psychologist (1911-2007).

nickec
Harmless

[*] posted on 28-12-2014 at 14:19

... a collated & edited post of all your information sources and proposed experimental procedure could be used to start a thread in technochemistry ...

I appreciate the guidance Bert. :)

I will post to technochemistry my proposed experimental procedure.
dermolotov
Hazard to Others

Mood: Free

[*] posted on 28-12-2014 at 21:46

Most people looking for LiAH in "beginnings" have a very different purpose in mind.

Just out of sheer curiosity (and now that the thread has birthed another, more relevant one) ...... what is that purpose?
Bert
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 28-12-2014 at 22:42

Some may consider that I overemphasize the threads that are sent to detritus?

image.jpg - 14kB

If someone makes a first post here on acquiring it, apparently has not a clue how to make or handle Lithium Aluminum hydride- and refers to needing it for an unspecified "other project", they may have an interest in cookery. Hence my gentle inquiry as to the nature of "other project", and pleasure that it was not so.

Site policy absolutely allows discussion of these areas of organic chemistry. But not requests for spoon feeding by drug cooks.

[Edited on 29-12-2014 by Bert]

Go To Top