Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Mr. Anonymous: HgCl2 prep
Ephesian
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 28-8-2012 at 17:21
HgCl2 a la mr. annonmous

104.56 grams of elemental mercury was added to ~140 ml of conc. HNO3 in a 500ml erlenmyer flask, the addition promoted vigorous bubbling and a huge exotherm while red NO2 fumes evolved from the reaction flask. The reaction continued for no more than 15 minutes as all of the mercury had already dissolved into solution. The Hg(NO3)2 solution was then poured into a large beaker and set over a water bath. The Hg(NO3)2 solution was boiled to dryness over several hours of stirring and prodding with a glass rod. Further heating was applied in order to decompose Hg(NO3)2 to HgO to promote a light yellow powder (as shown). During the decomposition of Hg(NO3)2 yellow fumes (not so much red) evolved from the contents of the flask.

To the resulting HgO was added ~130ml of conc HCl and the contents stirred with a glass rod until all the HgO went into solution. I might add the solution was clear but with a yellow undertone (which I assume is residual Hg(NO3)2 that failed to decompose to HgO. The contents were then carefully boiled down to our final product HgCl2. Yield ~135 grams

Further purification is carefully being considered as the material is safely been stored away in a "corrosive" skull and cross bone container. And I'm very content with it being there at the moment. A few grains of product were "left behind" on my balance and have made a beautiful amalgam for me to remember this synthesis by...

Although the chemistry is very elementary. I'll have to agree with magpie, I'm not too sure if Ill try this again, it does indeed seem too risky.

[Edited on 29-8-2012 by Ephesian]

Mercury and HNO3.jpeg - 214kB Mercury nitrate on water bath.jpeg - 204kB mercury oxide on water bath.jpeg - 215kB IMG_1048.jpg - 173kB

[Edited on 29-8-2012 by Ephesian]
J1nglz
Harmless

[*] posted on 3-9-2012 at 15:49

Please correct me because I know I am wrong. Wouldn't simply heating mercury in an oxygen-enriched flask to 350C create HgO? Would the oxygen-enrichment be necessary? I don't know of any mercury derivatives containing Hg and nitrogen.
Rogeryermaw
National Hazard

[*] posted on 3-9-2012 at 16:41

Quote: Originally posted by J1nglz  
Please correct me because I know I am wrong. Wouldn't simply heating mercury in an oxygen-enriched flask to 350C create HgO? Would the oxygen-enrichment be necessary? I don't know of any mercury derivatives containing Hg and nitrogen.
i don't think so but in a few more degrees it would start boiling.
SM2
Hazard to Others

Mood: Affect

[*] posted on 4-9-2012 at 06:23

Old ghetto way is to reflux Hg metal in excess Rooto H2S04. It takes ~ an hour, and once it cools, there are long beautiful needles of Mercuric Sulphate. Separate, add a little Na bicarbonate to bring things near 7, and add a good amount of salt to the mixture. Shake vigorously. Now, you will have a mixture of various salts of Hg, and it works fine in small amts., for activating Al.

But don't say mercury too much (Shhhhh!), it's a dirty word, so Shhhh! Also don't say asbestos (SHHHHHHH!!!!!) for that is a really dirty word.
Noshtuba
Harmless

[*] posted on 7-2-2016 at 06:45

Can't you simple add conc HCl to mercury and evaporate the solution? I get it that you d be evaporating HCl but its more straightforward than making the nitrate then making the oxide then making the chloride no? Also how come mercury chloride sublimates? isnt its boilng point 304 degrees ?
Metacelsus
International Hazard

Mood: Double, double, toil and trouble

[*] posted on 7-2-2016 at 07:47

Hydrochloric acid won't react with metallic mercury (see a table of redox potentials).

As below, so above.

My blog: https://denovo.substack.com
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top