Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Alkylamines via gas phase alkylation
hinz
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 18-6-2006 at 04:52
Alkylamines via gas phase alkylation

I'm though about making some Di- and Tri-ethylamine by gas phase alkylation. The reaction should occur in a catalyst tube filled with AlCl3. The ammonia will be prepared by refluxing ammionia soulution and colleting the NH3 which comes out at the top of the condensor. Then I will bubble the NH3 through a gas wash bottle filled with a liquid which shouldn't dissolve too much NH3. There I can count the bubbles and later add the stoichiometrical amount of ethanol in a small tubular furnace. There the mixture will be preheated and will form a gaseous mixture. The gas will then be inserted into the catalyst tube in my muffle furnace. There it shall react to the ethylamines.

The reason why I don't like to make it by the EtCl or Et2SO4 method is that I don't have a synthesis description and I'm pretty sure that you have to add some organic base to prevent the protonation of NH3 to NH4+ by the corresponding acid that will form during the reaction. Inorganic bases will hydrolyse the EtCl or Et2SO4. The protonated NH4+ can't act as a nucleophile on the ethyl group in the alkylation agent.

But I can't find any additional infomations about the reaction conditions and the catalyst, I only know that alkylamines are prepared by gas phase alkylation in the industry.

I would choose AlCl3 because it's a lewis acid and will form a complex with the OH group in an alcohol, leaving the alkyl cathion, ready to be attacked by the NH3 as a nucleophile.

Does anyone know anything about the reaction temperature of the reaction tube and improvements of the catalyst?

[Edited on 18-6-2006 by hinz]
guy
National Hazard

Mood: Catalytic!

[*] posted on 18-6-2006 at 10:29

Why use AlCl3, use Al2O3 it is more stable at higher temperatures. And how will you prevent the ammonia from reacting with the catalyst and poisoning it?

hinz
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 18-6-2006 at 11:02

Thank's guy. I've searched in my books and found a nice description in the Kirk-Othmer Vol.2 (lower aliphalic amines) and they do also mention silica and Al2O3 and several other oxides. I thought of AlCl3 because it's an strong lewis acid and would form a complex with the OH of the alcohol, leaving a possitive allkyl rest, but it melting and sublimating point at appr. 180°C limits the reaction temperature strongly. So I will use some Al2O3 or some dirty silica from column chromatography as a catalyst.
Texium
Administrator
Thread Moved
19-11-2023 at 11:14

Go To Top