Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Question about colour
Haruka
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

shocked.gif posted on 19-1-2015 at 18:59
Question about colour

If I have a precipitate of CaCO3 (which I have seen on the internet that is a white colour) How can I explain that color...? I mean since the Barium is a green-yellow colour... so, Why the precipitate is white? =S.. Help please!
Molecular Manipulations
Hazard to Others

Mood: High on forbidden fruit

[*] posted on 19-1-2015 at 19:31

Not sure what you mean. What barium? Barium metal is silver, gold when impure. It's compounds are colorless, just like calcium.
Calcium carbonate doesn't contain any barium, and if it were contaminated with barium carbonate, it would still be colorless.

-The manipulator
We are all here on earth to help others; what on earth the others are here for I don't know. -W. H. Auden
Haruka
Harmless

[*] posted on 19-1-2015 at 19:40

When you do flame tests with barium chloride, the color cast is a green-yellow so if I have precipitate of barium I would expect that color ... but otherwise the color I get is a white. I don't know if that have something to do with the carbonate ion ...

I leave the reaction:
BaCl2 + K2CO3 ----- BaCO3 (precipitate) + 2KCl
Amos
International Hazard

Mood: No

[*] posted on 19-1-2015 at 20:22

The color that an element's salts produce in a flame test has no relation whatsoever to what color their compounds are going to be. Barium carbonate is white because it's white, as are nearly all compounds of the metals in the first two groups of the periodic table(or colorless).

ziqquratu
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 19-1-2015 at 20:47

When you do a flame test on a sodium-containing compound, the flame colour is yellow, yet common sodium salts (chloride, carbonate, sulfate, and on and on) are all white or colourless. This also holds true for a variety of other elements - potassium, lithium, strontium and zinc all jump to mind as generally having colourless salts but giving distinct flame colours.

In the flame test, the metal ion absorbs heat energy, resulting in the excitation of an electron to a non-ground energy level. When that excited electron returns to the ground state, the absorbed energy is emitted as a photon. Since the energy required to excite an electron varies from one element to the next, the energy - and thus colour - of the emitted photon likewise differs between elements, which allows the elements to be differentiated by this method.

In addition, it should be noted that electrons can often be promoted to one of multiple energy levels, and so the colour observed in the flame is the sum of the emitted photons. Lithium, for example, has four or five visible emission lines - two or three in the violet-blue, one orange and one red. Sodium has a green and two yellow. Barium has something like 20 lines ranging from green through red! And, of course, whilst some elements have visible emission lines, many (heck, probably all) elements also have non-visible emission lines (in the UV or IR).

The colours observed in the flame test, however, have nothing to do with the colour of the compounds of a particular element - and that becomes particularly evident if you consider the transition metals, where compound colour depends on the environment the metal is in as much as on the metal itself. I've only had a quick glance, but Wikipedia's overview (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_of_chemicals) appears to be a reasonable starting point.

Go To Top