Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Synthesis of Ammonium Nitrate Via HNO3?
DrManhattan
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 24-1-2015 at 22:03
Synthesis of Ammonium Nitrate Via HNO3?

Hi guys. I have an easy access to HNO3 (68%) and i was thinking about synthesizing some Ammonium Nitrate. I know alot of people would be thinking that using such a valuable chemical would be a waste on AN but seeing as i can acquire it so easily i thought i should give it a shot. I have already used the Sodium Bisulfate and nitrate salt method but i found it doesnt give very good yields whereas i have heard of the HNO3 giving roughly 900 grams per 1L of nitric acid. The problem is that i have looked around the web but there is no detailed instructions on its synthesis using nitric acid. Has anyone got the formula of how much ammonia needs to be reacted with nitric acid to yield NH4NO3 by any chance?
Bert
Super Administrator
Thread Moved
24-1-2015 at 22:49
Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

[*] posted on 24-1-2015 at 22:56

Start by learning stoichiometry.

http://www.learnchem.net/tutorials/stoich.shtml

Please read the FAQ on posting new threads before starting another thread ousted of "beginnings".

http://www.sciencemadness.org/madscifaq.html#2.1_Board_topic...

And remember:

IT IS NEARLY ALLWAYS BETTER TO POST A QUESTION IN AN EXISTING THREAD THAN TO START A NEW ONE!

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting

Rapopart’s Rules for critical commentary:

1. Attempt to re-express your target’s position so clearly, vividly and fairly that your target says: “Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.”
2. List any points of agreement (especially if they are not matters of general or widespread agreement).
3. Mention anything you have learned from your target.
4. Only then are you permitted to say so much as a word of rebuttal or criticism.

Anatol Rapoport was a Russian-born American mathematical psychologist (1911-2007).

Yugen
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 25-1-2015 at 00:45

Well yeah, learn stoichiometry and stuff (other dude's opinion) but reading some sources is always helpful for the tips and tricks. Here's the gist of the reaction you want to know about...

Quote:

NH4NO3 is made by the neutralization reaction of ammonia with nitric acid:

NH3 + HNO3 → NH4NO3 + heat

The reaction is carried out in aqueous phase using a slight excess of nitric acid. The heat of reaction is utilized to evaporate the water. Also, evaporation may be carried out under vacuum. Alternatively, solid ammonium nitrate is obtained by crystallization from a concentrated solution. The particle size of the dry product may be controlled by vacuum crystallization. Ammonium nitrate alternatively may be prepared by double displacement reactions of ammonium salt with a nitrate salt (e.g. ammonium sulfate and sodium nitrate):

(NH4)2SO4 + 2NaNO3 → 2NH4NO3 + Na2SO4

Source: Handbook of Inorganic Chemicals by Pradyot Patnaik (page 40)

Go To Top